Sendmap/getmap in 1.7?

Talk about anything here.
Skeetz

Sendmap/getmap in 1.7?

Post by Skeetz »

Would it be possible to have a send/get map function in 1.7? It would make playing (and play testing) custom maps a lot easier.

One way to accomplish this is the game could read the plugin's URL and automatically download it from there to the end user's plugin folder. Would this work?
Last edited by Skeetz on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vinylrake

Re: Sendmap/getmap in 1.7?

Post by vinylrake »

Skeetz wrote:Would it be possible to have a send/get map function in 1.7? It would make playing (and play testing) custom maps a lot easier.

One way to accomplish this the game could read the plugin's URL and automatically download it from there to the end user's plugin folder. Would this work?
I am not magma, nor am I working on 1.7, but the biggest non-technical problem I could see with that particular solution would be that the URLs attached to the plugin/maps are no longer valid/incorrect for upwards of 90% of the maps and plugins.

Another issue is that name of a map/plugin doesn't necessarily match the zipped/stuffit download file at a site so there is no practical way for the Myth game to know from the map/plugin being played what the name of the file to download is. ex. The actual name of a map might be 'Smells Like Death" but the zip file could be called something like 'Smellsv1.1.zip". Or for a less obvious example, a zip file called 'bmtgg.zip' might contain the map called 'Blood Makes the Grass Grow'.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Skeetz

Post by Skeetz »

True, true. But once the files been downloaded, wouldn't the game recognize it as if the player had downloaded it manually? I see the problems with the URLs though. Nonetheless, it would be a good solution for newer maps.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

what if the myth files downloaded the .zip file from another folder? A folder full of corresponding .zip files. Isn't the concept the same?
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

No promises but we have some ideas we've been throwing around.
Road

Post by Road »

One issue that Iv had is that you add the URL to the plugins discription befor you build it and usually I dont really know the URL untell after I upload a plugin.
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

The URL field is not an effective way to download files.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Well Road, if you know the plugin you are making will be say at the Tain then all you really need to do is put "www.thetain.net". People will have to do their own searching. Just make sure the name of the plugin file is close to the name of the plugin.
Road

Post by Road »

Yeah, I think I started doing that when I updated HoC... I think it just says "thetain.net".
For the most part I just google the plugins name and version number and usually dont have a problem finding it if its up for the public.
slugman

Post by slugman »

why not take a Bittorrent-like approach? assuming multiple people in a game have the same plug, they would all share in distributing the active plugin to those that do not have the plug-in. This way the host doesn't get bogged down with the task of distributing to everyone and theoretically the download would go faster? I imagine that this may be technically difficult, however...
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

The current release of 1.7 (305 Universal mac version only) now has an interface that takes you to the file on the tain (if it is on the tain of course). If you are a OSX mac tester give it a shot. Hopefully Myrd can find time to put support into the windows version by the next release.
killerking

RE:

Post by killerking »

What if people in the lobby could select their plugin and then klick another person to send the plugin file to (he offcourse, would first need to accept it). Because you selected a file that myth recognizes, so the other person myth should recognize it to, right?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

TarousZars wrote:The current release of 1.7 (305 Universal mac version only) now has an interface that takes you to the file on the tain (if it is on the tain of course). If you are a OSX mac tester give it a shot. Hopefully Myrd can find time to put support into the windows version by the next release.
This sounds most excellent Tarous! One request (which you may have already done), could the configuration/setting of the URL for the download site (the tain) be user-configurable, or at least stored in some kind of external file like the server files are? That way if the Tain were ever to dissapear and some other site were to take it's place we wouldn't need to find someone with access to the Myth source code to make the change.

thanks for considering my request.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

It's an idea people have wanted for so long, that its' inevitable almost.

If a file was downloaded within Myth's interface itself, and added to the plugin folder, would it be possible for the game itself to automatically "URL stamp" the plugin when it arrives in a player's folder, so anyone else can get a recent/working URL? That might be very complicated to implement but just an idea in my head.

Blades/Clem were gonna have Myth III v1.4 include a similar feature, or so they claimed. Shame no one can get to their files and see if it had anything helpful in it...
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

This has been on our wishlist for a while, it would be uber sexie!

sooo much time is lost having to fuk around fidning links to plugins, only to get it and when the host opens he changes the map to trow or something or leaves.

Ill have to post the conversations ive had with PPE on the subject of wishlist features for myth/marius. Things like plugin DL's and being able to save vets with a limited number per unit type to a "Bank" for later use
in multiplayer and coop!

Where 9 Motion Crockodile My Uber vet fatty from last week!?!! He is needed in this Holy Wars Grave Lmoth!

The question is....would this "Vet saved to bank" only apply to units that have so far NEVER been killed?!?! and if they are ever killed in game...they are gone baby!

Who knows heh.... well maybe it would not be possible for them to make it to the vet bank in the first place if they died in game heh mb.

-Renwood
Peach Out