Bungie unit models

Talk about anything here.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Me too, me too....

I'll leave a bit of ambiguity here for the sake of it, but the guy who's PM'd me on the matter has basically said he's no intention of sharing these things in the short term. Though he may do Mythy things next year.

I don't want to be impertinent or rude, but me personally - I don't see why his being busy should have bearing on whether or not the models are shared. What I can see is that he'd be unwilling to share them in light of some consequence I can't quite imagine at the moment (like maybe the copyright owners taking action over game art that's been obsolete for 10 years!).

I can respect that he has reasons and that they're valid to him, but I'm basically hoping that his schedule isn't one of them. Weeks turn into months, there's less of us around to cook up good schemes for these materials ...
I'm getting sentimental now, but I suppose one last time I shall try to appeal directly to him :
If Myth isn't a high enough priority to you anymore, pass these things on to someone else.
If you have a master plan for them and it's not ready yet, then my apologies for this thread and the private messages ... !
If it's a fear of someone 'high-up' ....

just leak the things and learn to like the phrase "I know nothing!".

Seeya!
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Look, as great as the Myth community has been, there's only so much you can do without a company/owner giving a shit. I mean, who even owns Myth now, Take2 still, or did I read the rights reverted recently back to Bungie?

As long as Take2 has Myth, it will die. They don't give two sh*ts about the franchise. There's no way to get new, retails copies of any of the games, and unless you do your homework and know where to go for multiplayer and updates, people will just see an outdated and abandoned game.

Does it suck? Yes. Does it make me angry to see something I cherished so much growing up simply be left and forgotten? Of course. But without access to the original game resources, that's all that is going to happen.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Well did you expect Take 2 to care about Myth? I didn't.

Look at all the games out there right now. Mostly FPS. SO would Bungie or Take 2 spend resources to make another myth by creating an entirely new engine hire new people or would they just make a GTA5 and keep rolling in the dough? Same as Bungie as well.

Do you put out a new game that ADHD kids wont buy cause they get bored and actually have to think, or do you SHOOT EM UP SHOOT EM UP.

You decide.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

While I agree about the attention span and the kinds of games that sell right now, I find it mildy ironic that a large part of what appealed to me about the Myth games when they came out was that they skipped all that boring 'resource building' and 'empire bulding' crap and just got straight to the good stuff - the actual battle. To me, Myth seemed kind of like a tradional warfare game tailored for ADHD/short-attention-span people.
Arthim

Post by Arthim »

I am an ADHD kid and I like myth more than any fps out there. I think the reapl reason why gamers these days won't play a game like myth is not that it demands patience (myth can be pretty fast paced) but that to play it your brainstem has to be attatched to something.
for an mmo, click this link:
Baak

Post by Baak »

Arthim wrote:... but that to play it your brainstem has to be attatched to something.
lol! :D
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

And this is why they wont make myth 3 or w/e. It is niche marketing and theres no money in it. Would you rather build a game that sells 300K copies or 20K? (obviously these numbers arent accurate but), I know where I'd be putting my resources. It will take a new company to do this or someone buying the rights. There's no money in it for Bungie or Take 2, theyve made great games without myth and made more its unfortunate and I like myth out of most games but, walk into best buy and count FPS and Strategy games and RPG. I think you'll find it dwarfed. Not to mention both companies have huge successes out there right now.
Arthim

Post by Arthim »

What if myth was freeware? Myth as a game is already baisically maintained by the community, what if that was made official
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

In general the problems with freeware games becoming wildly successful are (strictly IMO) a combo of project management difficulties (hard to keep a large group of developers with their own ideas of what a game should be 'on track'), no advertising budget to make the world aware of a game, and the reality that in the gaming world the latest and greatest games are being produced for consoles not for PCs/Macs.

Quick question

Name the most popular freeware game for Mac or PC you know of.
(and Marathon doesn't count because it's popularity is from it's pre-open-source incarnations)

ps. before anyone jumps down my throat for not knowing what the heck I am talking about please note the 'strictly IMO' disclaimer at the beginning of this post.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Anything on addictinggames.com They are addicting...... Guess its not really freeware.

To answer your question for PC Americas Army. But look at its sponsor and how great it is of a recruiting tool. They have money to advertise cause its the .GOV
sillek

Post by sillek »

I don't know about most popular, vr. But, my favourite freeware game for both Mac/PC [mb Linux as well] is Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

There are also free MMORPGs/regular RPGs out there, such as Eternal Lands.

I'm not arguing for OR against the freeware argument. Just answerring vr's question.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

yeah sill. I know there ARE freeware games, but for whatever reason they don't seem to get the press or the playerbase that popular commercial games get.

Of the ones you mentioned, I've heard of the Wolfenstein game (though I think because you brought it up on an OoH forum discussion in the last month or so), and the Army game. But the Army game I heard of when it came out in the context of the Army's new approach to recruiting, not because it was a popular game.

Not negating your lists Sill, those are the most popular freeware games you know of - I appreciate you answering, and am interested in what other free games people think are popular. (yes, I know that Solitaire is the most popular)
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

u need xp for solitaire not free! but rather expensive
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

*bumped for more discussion*
Arthim

Post by Arthim »

in response to the comments about freeware games not being popular, Myth is already unpopular. We have a total gaming community of about 100 people (if were lucky) and no advertising budget except for what people produce themselves. We have nothing to louse.