What doesn't suck about Myth 3?

Talk about anything here.
Lugas

What doesn't suck about Myth 3?

Post by Lugas »

I know M3 has a negative reception, but where there parts that were actually quite good? (like specific units, levels etc)

It would be interesting to know what people think was good about M3.
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
Baak

Post by Baak »

It was ages ago when I played around with it (I bought it when it first came out) -- and I have yet to play with the latest patch from FlyingFlip -- but I recall some of the solo levels were pretty cool.

M3 has this really dark quality (too much imo), but for a couple of solo levels it's pretty neat (and appropriate).

There are just some things I couldn't get used to: Dwarfs looking like they're carrying eggs in their pants; the Michelin-Man Wight; the wimpy Warlock attack; the horrible voiceovers (OMG BAD); the hyper-fidgety idle sequence for units.

Not sure how much of these things were fixed, but it reminded me of American car companies: re-inventing everything every single year instead of improving on what works. That's what they should have done with M3 imo.

Also: I would recommend only running M3 with the latest patch (especially on a PC) -- the original game blew up my PC hard (that's why I didn't play it again). It had some serious problems.
Topsy Kretz

Post by Topsy Kretz »

Baak wrote:It was ages ago when I played around with it (I bought it when it first came out) -- and I have yet to play with the latest patch from FlyingFlip -- but I recall some of the solo levels were pretty cool.

M3 has this really dark quality (too much imo), but for a couple of solo levels it's pretty neat (and appropriate).

There are just some things I couldn't get used to: Dwarfs looking like they're carrying eggs in their pants; the Michelin-Man Wight; the wimpy Warlock attack; the horrible voiceovers (OMG BAD); the hyper-fidgety idle sequence for units.

Not sure how much of these things were fixed, but it reminded me of American car companies: re-inventing everything every single year instead of improving on what works. That's what they should have done with M3 imo.

Also: I would recommend only running M3 with the latest patch (especially on a PC) -- the original game blew up my PC hard (that's why I didn't play it again). It had some serious problems.
Baak basically summed up my opinions of and problems with MIII quiet well, except I fortunately didn't have the PC meltdown, phew!

Beyond that I could never get over how units spun around in place to turn!! Like they were figure skaters on ice or something. Sheesh!!
"Do you want to be healed, now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

For the most part the graphics were really pretty, it was just that nobody could run them :)

Otherwise the music was really good, very different to the Myth I and II soundtracks, which better fit the whole different-age thing, but still had the same kind of feel.

I liked the original trailer as well, the one with Connacht speaking to the king about the Myrkridia, the game was a huge disappointment, but the trailer did an awesome job of getting your expectations up for it.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Yea, music was pretty good ( especialy while Zac Belica used only some samples rather than symphonic band like they orignaly planed )
Story was pretty decent 2 - relationship between Fallan Lords and part about spider cult were the best imho.
Hmmm what else... pretty cool multiplayer maps maybe.
IMO M3 is a decent game with quite a lot of "Myth feel" just without that characteristic "Myth special touch".
Good M2 port would make M3 way much better 4 sure.
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

I liked M3. Sure that it has got some very annoying stuff (can't recall any examples right now), but the music was cool and hey, that's still Myth :wink:
remedial

Post by remedial »

Tireces wrote: IMO M3 is a decent game with quite a lot of "Myth feel" just without that characteristic "Myth special touch".
It just didn't behave the way a Myth game should- and it drove away a lot of people migrating from M1/M2.

I agree with a lot of what has been already said- I enjoyed a lot of the eye-candy in M3 and I actually thought they did a decent job with the story-line etc.

Its just a shame that this game didn't live up- its like being disappointed when your favorite band releases newer and cruddier albums.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Baak wrote:It was ages ago when I played around with it (I bought it when it first came out) -- and I have yet to play with the latest patch from FlyingFlip -- but I recall some of the solo levels were pretty cool.

The one thing that was obviously fixed was the locks. Their animation changed. The rest didn't really, with regard to your specific comments.
Baak

Post by Baak »

haravikk wrote:the trailer did an awesome job of getting your expectations up for it.
Yeah, if only the game had lived up to those expectations!

It would've been sweet imo if M3 had been a really good game and possibly in a different direction, so we could have enjoyed all three myth games unto themselves as much as possible.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Baak wrote:
haravikk wrote:the trailer did an awesome job of getting your expectations up for it.
Yeah, if only the game had lived up to those expectations!

It would've been sweet imo if M3 had been a really good game and possibly in a different direction, so we could have enjoyed all three myth games unto themselves as much as possible.
Agreed on the direction. People who talk about how to "improve" Myth III basically want it more like Myth II. The best Myth II we're ever gonna get is Myth II, you could never tease what the developers had in mind for Myth III (i.e. making Myth 3D and prettier) into being Myth II. I think they could have made a better game, but I'm glad it's got its quirks like the "slow" feeling and even the ridiculous iron trow, because it at least stops it feeling like a poor remake.
Horus

Post by Horus »

I got Myth 3 for my PC for Christmas (was on my wishlist) so I could finally see what it's like on a powerful computer (playing it on the old iMac with lag-oh-rama was no fun). Haven't installed it yet (been busy).