Joining magma - How?

Talk about anything here.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I'm not interrested in joining Magma now (my map-making skills suck and I've never programmed) but I might like to join in 5-6 years time (I rekon Magma will still be arround, even if it's a new generation of players) if I learn some coding skills.

I'm only 14 at the mo but in 6 years I'll be 20. Maybe it'll take more than 6 years for me to learn, I don't know. I'm not asking if I can join, I'm asking how to ask.

Also, what about other roles, e.g. Forum Admins and Beta testers. How do people get given these roles? I have a fast internet connection and don't mind regularly having to dl new versions of maps and patches.

I'd want to find out more about these jobs first but I just thought I'd
(a) Let you know the Myth youth is gonna be there when u get 2 old.
(b) Ask for info on the above mentioned jobs.
and © Find out about what is required to do earn my stars.

I have a friend, Ferentix, another member of The Forgotten Shadows, aged 15 who has a brain the size of the PlayMyth.net server who could also join you in the future. He's learnt to script (a bit, he's only had Myth II for about 4 months), he knows a little about making new units and is currently working with me to make the TFS map pack 1.

Ferentix can code in simple languages like Basic and rekon he could be of use to you in the future, more as a map maker than patch coder. I've not asked him yet but I know he's into coding and stuff and will probably be interrested in joining a well established map making team.

I won't be ready for a long time and I have no idea how good Ferentix is right now but I thought it's better to ask you about these things now than in the future, so I know if there IS a future.

I have a lot of respect 4 ProjectMagma and I don't rekon I could live up to ur standards but I could be a Forum Admin of a Beta Tester if u would take me.
fear

Post by fear »

I got into being a beta tester through recommendations. I was chosen by Ozone, Ghost, and Cydonian to help Beta test the expansion, Green Berets for Myth 2. Boy was that fun.. :roll: :lol: :mad: :angry: :;): I wish I had some of the hotline logs to post here during the development. Was some good times, as well as a point I think oz and ghost were ready to strangle each other. I downloaded 120-130mb plugins on a 56k AOL everyday, sometimes 2 and tested constantly. I was there always to give feedback ect, so when it came time for magma to need testers, ozone put in a good word for me.

Just get to know the guys really well, beta test what they have posted on hotline and find them on there and give them feedback. Eventually, you'll get added to the testers part and be able to test all the new goodness.

*waits for the beta of Rage of Kollastra & Laws of Evil*

Although I love myth to death, I personally don't see myth 2 alive in 6 years. I'm giving it 1-2 years maybe. The community is slowly dieing off. Myth 3 still isn't good enough to get people to switch, as it plays extremely slow compared to myth 2. I really wish Myth 3 could perform at the same level Myth 2 does, and more people would join it, because Myth 3 is a great game, once you get past the crashes, pathfinding bugs, melle weirdness, ect.
"Be Yourself, Screw Reputation"
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Myth III will be updated several times until all bugs are out of it's system but u gotta say considering it's on v1.3.1 it's not bad. Compare that to Myth II which is on 1.5.0 and still has some bugs and Myth III is obviously getting better and better. FlyingFlip's team has started Myth III maps and the game will soon come alive.

I say Myth will live as long as the servers exist. I recently introduced 6 ppl to Myth II and of them, 3 have decided to keep playing. Myth's community is shrinking but we're reaching a plateu I think. We've reached a stage where we still get n00bs but they don't often stay long. However, the oldies who are gonna be around FOREVER are a large enough group now to keep the game alive. I only joined in Jan of 2004 and the community certainly hasn't shrunk since then. LOADS of people have said that with people like PlayMyth and Magma around they rekon Myth will still be arround in 10 years. I can't see many people playing in such a long time but I'm sure some will. I've made close friends on PlayMyth.net. Close friends who I've never met but would trust with my life. They won't quit because if they quit our friendship will have to end.

What do u mean test what they post on hotline? I didn't even know they had a hotline server. They told me they tested on MariusNet mainly.

I've played with Iron a few times but I rarely see the others. oogaBooga I've played with a lot but he's a bit new and we didn't get off to a PERFECT start...
fear

Post by fear »

hl.udogs.net
"Be Yourself, Screw Reputation"
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

ooga is pretty agitable sometimes :angry:
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I checked the udogs site. I'll dl the server stuff some time soon. When r u online? Can I get any documents on setting up the server and my account etc.?

ooga isn't that bad, he just trod on a nerve when he disagreed with me about how cool Pikmin is and how it's similar to Myth
Pistol_Pete

Post by Pistol_Pete »

Just ask ooga about the "Lost Forest" and what happens when you stand on a rock, while getting shot at by a paintball gun. :)
Dio

Post by Dio »

To join Magma Elf..you must do this 1st.
Send a minimum of $39.95 to Dio's paypal account, then I will send you the appropriate paperwork.

As for beta-testing..its a mystery. I have asked for years.
Take care
Diomedes
"The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress".
- Joseph Joubert
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Dio, want to help test TFL 1.5?
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
Dio

Post by Dio »

Let me think about it for a while..hmm...mmmm..welllll?
Yes! crazy question Doobs!
- Joseph Joubert
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Dio why the hell do I need to give u money? U aren't in Magma. Do u mean u will 'persuade' them for me? ;)
Horus

Post by Horus »

Methinks he's just crazy, or something.

I've been tryin for maybe a year plus to get on magma still no luck,
if you want to get on magma when your good,
you got to get to know the guys and get them to have high opinion of you.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Horus hit the nail on the head.

If you want in magma, first we have to get to know you. Best way to do that is hang out on our hotline server, help test our stuff, mb even help by contributing to some of our projects. It takes time and patience, and as of yet, i don't think anyone has gotten in by asking, they've all been invited.

Basically, hang out with us until we forget that you're not already a member.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

[color=DFC99B]LieZ, LieZ, all LieZ I say.

You dont *join* Magma, Magma kidnaps jOO in da middle of the night, transports you blindfolded to some deep, dark, and dank location where youre promptly chained to a wall, a computer shoved into your lap, and an assignment to be completed expeditiously given to you.

Sooo, mb be careful what you wish for ?? ;o)

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAerr ummm ya. Carry on as you were. Nothing to worry about here perhaps.

<be>EDIT:: dOObie, FIX your URL Link in your signature, it just shows up as code and not an actual link mb. :oO[/b][/color]

Edited By GHOST® on 1091133649
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
Dio

Post by Dio »

LOL
- Joseph Joubert