BREAKING NEWS: ElusiveMind Alive And PlayMyth is back

Talk about anything here.
GodzFire

BREAKING NEWS: ElusiveMind Alive And PlayMyth is back

Post by GodzFire »

This isn't a joke either:
Sun, 11/29/2009 - 13:11

My love affair with the game Myth is no secret - but there hasn't been a real good solution to being able to play the game on a modern operating system while maintaining the original game play that Bungie created back over ten years ago. Project Magma has done a good job expanding and supporting Myth II, but my interest has been to produce something classic - if for no other benefit than my own. The same goes for the original Myth game.

So in addition to working on Myth III, which will be the primary focus, we will be working with the classics as well. The intent here is not to divide, but rather have a hand of my own on these games and apply what I've learned there and basically produce something for myself. If anyone else feels like playing with it - than so be it, but I'll leave the promotion and other related portions of the community to those who have been doing it for the last few years.

To conclude - hopefully we can produce some good Myth III action moving forward. I have a ton of ideas - mostly from a semantic point of view - for fixing and game play. Hopefully culminating in a steady release cycle of updates that everyone can enjoy.

This will also result in the rebirth of PlayMyth.net so I have a place to test everything. PlayMyth.net will feature a completely new metaserver that is not based on the Bungie.net source code.

As for the Myth III editing tool, Ballistic, I have decided to suspend development on that code base and design a completely new tool based on Microsoft’s .NET technology and ported to Macintosh via Mono. Work has already begun. The tool will be completely open source as well with a complete SVN repository.
(http://www.elusivemind.com/news/myth-de ... t-to-begin)

It begins again.
Khadrelt

Re: BREAKING NEWS: ElusiveMind Alive And <a href=

Post by Khadrelt »

Wait…so if I get this right, they're making Myth 1 and 2 that runs exactly like the originals but in OS X? That's cool, I guess, but is there a reason I would want these more than what we've already got? I like the enhancements Magma's done.
The cake is a lie.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Any word on whether or not this is as yet uncoded Playmyth.net game server will employ the same kind of encryption that broke Myth's ability to connect to any server but theirs, and prevented anyone using a ProjectMagma developed version of Myth 1 or 2 from being able to connect to their server?

Seriously, did anyone see anything about whether this game-community killing hack will be part of the new Myth 1 & 2 releases like they were in FlyingFlip/MythDev's previous releases of M1 and M2?
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

LOL!
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

I'm really looking forward for the new myth III release! As far as the myth 1-2 "classic", I think some competition is never bad :P
PPE will have to impress us with something ehhehehehe, how about you revert to myth 1.0 that erases our C:/program files ?

Really, I think it sucks that all the latest plugins won't work on myth 1.3...
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Zeph wrote:PPE will have to impress us with something ehhehehehe, how about you revert to myth 1.0 that erases our C:/program files ?
I am sure if you suggest it, that it will be incorporated into the Playmyth version of Myth2, that way they can ruin your ability to play myth even if you stop using their version.
Zeph wrote: Really, I think it sucks that all the latest plugins won't work on myth 1.3...
Yeah, you know what else really sucks? That all these cool new BlueRay DVD releases of my favorite TV shows and movies don't work on my Betamax player.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Ok, I reread the post on elusivemind.com and I call BS. Here's why.

From the site:

"...we will be working with the classics [Myth 1 & 2] as well. The intent here is not to divide, but rather have a hand of my own on these games and apply what I've learned there and basically produce something for myself. "

ego alert. Sure, he doesn't want to 'divide' he just wants HIS stamp on the games. if you want to produce something for yourself you just do it, you don't post it as an announcement teasing people with a new(old) version of a game unless you are looking to either create controversy or get your ego stroked.

"...To conclude - hopefully we can produce some good Myth III action moving forward. I have a ton of ideas - mostly from a semantic point of view - for fixing and game play. Hopefully culminating in a steady release cycle of updates that everyone can enjoy."

So... he likes the original M1 and M2 gameplay so doesn't like what Project Magma has done by adding to and enhancing M2 so he wants to create his own versions of M1 and M2 to go 'back to the originals' - that sounds reasonable, but wait... for M3 he has 'a ton of ideas' for how to 'fix' the game and improve the gameplay? HOW IS THAT ANY DIFFERENT THAN WHAT MAGMA HAS DONE WITH M2?

bs. pure and utter hypocritical bs.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

I am all for fixing Myth III.

If it had proper modding tools, and the ability to tag out in game, I would play it more.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I think fixing Myth III is a great and worthwhile project, and I wish elusivemind good luck and godspeed in "their" effort. I support the idea of the project and if the result is good I'll be first in line to say thanks and spread the word about Myth III.

I also think claiming you want to create your own versions of M1 and M2 to get back to the original versions because PM 'heavily modded' M2, while yourself simultaneously planning a ton of fixes and enhancements for Myth 3 is pretty hypocritical.

just saying.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

PrplPplEater wrote:LOL!
LOLOLOLOLOL
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

vinylrake wrote:I also think claiming you want to create your own versions of M1 and M2 to get back to the original versions because PM 'heavily modded' M2, while yourself simultaneously planning a ton of fixes and enhancements for Myth 3 is pretty hypocritical.
And pretty pointless; at it's core Myth 2 is still basically the same game it's always been, but there are now tons of extras that map-makers can take advantage of, and some various little bug fixes which I expect most people don't even notice really (which means they're working great =)
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

so if our version is so good why are we even scared ? This is real life, people will go where the best stuff is made and I doubt the best way is moonwalking trows and spinning healers and ugly untextured maps with no support for plugins.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: BREAKING NEWS: ElusiveMind Alive

Post by Pyro »

No one said they were scared. Though I'd like to know which plugins were supposedly broken by magma's update.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

not scared in the least. my bs-detector just went into the red zone on reading that post.

afaik pm had pretty much devolved into a one man show and that one man has a real life so i'd be suprised to actually see anythy ing substantial come from this announcement - any one of the 4 projects (m1, m2, m3, new metaserver built from scratch ) could keep one person busy for many months of freetime.

part of my tone is just annoyance. the # of projects elusivemind has announced are way too many for one person to do much on, and only 1 of them is really adding any value to the game(s) or the community (Myth3). i mean if he wants to update the Bungie versions of M1 and M2 to run on newer OSes kewl, go for it - but no one (other than a handful of tournament h00rs who just have vague - often incorrect - memories of old gameplay to base their complaints on) are clamoring for the older bungie versions of M1 or M2, there's already a gameserver up and running and ElusiveMind no doubt still has the code to the pm gameserver if all 'they' want to do is run their own server. But spend 100's of hours writing a brand new gameserver when you don't even have a game server running in the first place and updating versions of software no one cares about? colossal waste of time. oh - and don't forget rewriting the vengeance M3 editor from scratch (wth? is that like a weekend project?) i just wish elusivemind would concentrate his considerable skills and ambition on something he has a real passion for and which would also provide the biggest bang-for-the-buck - a fixed, and improved/enhanced version of Myth3. afaik, elusivemind might be the last M3 coding resource still active in the community, i'd like to see those unique skills and elusivemind's limited time get used fully, and not see it wasted on things other people can and already are, doing.

but that's just my opinion. i can waste time with the best of them, and i acknowledge elusivemind has every right to waste time however he/they want to.