Myth2Code definition error?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
phordicus2

Myth2Code definition error?

Post by phordicus2 »

i used Untag to extract (what i thought were all) the forest giant from Acts of Cruelty and placed it in a test map. besides only the yellow movement circles showing up in Loathing instead of the actual FG, the test game went to postgame immediately and the mythlog had this:

Code: Select all

[size=85]Error: File system Open in .\Myth2Code\definitions.c, line #507: couldn't read header for collection definition 'ent.'.
Error: File system Open in .\Myth2Code\definitions.c, line #593: monster definition postprocess failed on 'forest giant-mons-n'.
Error: File system Open in .\Myth2Code\definitions.c, line #507: couldn't read header for collection definition 'ent.'.
Error: File system Open in .\Myth2Code\definitions.c, line #593: collection reference definition postprocess failed on 'forest giant-core-n'.
Error: File system Open in .\Myth2Code\definitions.c, line #593: unit definition postprocess failed on 'forest giant-unit-n'.[/size]
translation error?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Myth2Code definition error?

Post by Pyro »

Did you include the tags into a plugin or did you try to run it as a local folder? If a local folder, keep in mind myth ignores most of the local folder when it logs onto a metaserver. You might be missing one tag that is causing the other tags to fail since they are all linked up.
phordicus2

Post by phordicus2 »

Pyro wrote:You might be missing one tag that is causing the other tags to fail since they are all linked up.
yup. extracted everything into local i thought the new unit would have (coll ref, proj, mons, etc) and most of it was obviously named, then built the plug with those.

hmm, since the sprite isn't showing up in Loathing either i'll just extract & include everything and start yanking things one at a time.
phordicus2

Post by phordicus2 »

ok, well i found a file in Collections that was unique but common to the two different plugs i extracted from for comparison (Piety & Wanderlust). it is called "ken-256" and is 748 kb. with this uninstinctive file present, the FG's sprite now shows up in Loathing.

tested online and it works. interesting. i guess it's the palette for the sprite and just happens to be oddly named?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

There was a clue in your log. It said collection definition with header 'ent'. All you had to do was look at collection files and find the one with the header Ent. You did so. Congrats. Same set of tags would be required for any other unit you decide to pull in the future.
phordicus2

Post by phordicus2 »

yup. checking the mons file would've been much easier. been a while since i was a newb at something.