Newish player to Myth II - Really great game!

Talk about anything here.
darkhorse

Newish player to Myth II - Really great game!

Post by darkhorse »

Excuse the ignorance of some of these questions. I am relatively new to this game, just getting hold of a copy. My only exposure to this game was a demo of myth II about 10 years ago, which I remembered enjoying a lot. So picked up a erm… version recently.

Very different to any strategy game I have played before, and honestly much more fun than the Civilization type games. Just working through the very satisfying single player campaign at the moment, about half way through, so far from an expert yet. Can see how it holds its interest though, and why it would have such a following.

Some questions …

• Are myth 1 and 3 worth getting hold of as well? I heard that myth 3 is not as popular as myth 2, and it was made by a different company. But why was it such a failure? is it some playability factor?

• I am not a very good player yet, and have found that I play most of the game at half speed, pausing and saving all the time. Is this normal, or am I just rubbish?

• How can online play work when there is only the myth 2 app?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Newish player to Myth II - Really great game!

Post by Pyro »

Myth 1 (aka TFL), is definitely worth getting. At the very least, you can download the Myth2 plugin version of it and run it under Myth2, since TFL hasn't gotten updated in a long time and might not work properly in all systems. Here is the TFL campaign for Myth2 plugin. Many think the TFL storyline is better than the M2 storyline. Either way, both are must haves.

As for Myth3, it might be worth trying, but as you said a lot of people don't really like it like the first two. The storyline, the art, the blocky 3D units, etc are various reasons why it simply isn't the same as the first two.

It takes a while to get used to the units and gameplay. Seeing as you are playing in legendary mode, it could explain the need to play at a slower speed and save frequently. However, most might find half speed to be too slow to play with even if it means they might die from the difficulty that comes with legendary.

What exactly do you mean with how online play can work? The only online server where you can play with others is Mariusnet. To use it, just make sure you have Myth2 updated. The Tain has the latest version. While you can log on as a guest, making an account will let you chat in the lobby and have a player name instead of "Guest". For more info, the Myth Starter Guide might have the answers.

If you have any more questions or comments, feel free to post them.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:What exactly do you mean with how online play can work? The only online server where you can play with others is Mariusnet.
I think that's the key Pyro, if he just picked up the game (again) and knows that Bungie.net doesn't exist anymore he was probably wondering how online play could work in the absence of a gameserver.

ps. Welcome back, darkhorse! (also, despite the impression some might give, playing at half speed during intense battle sequences where you really have to micro-manage your units to stay alive isn't that uncommon at all - especially if you are playing solo on legendary difficulty. i am not a great player by any stretch of the imagination but even after years of playing if i am playing solo legendary on a map i don't know _exactly_ what happens and when i will often slow down the gameplay during intense action.)
darkhorse

Post by darkhorse »

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm on a mac - OS X 10.5.8. So can't use the linked EXE file. The Myth I Plug in instructions seem to say that I need a copy of Myth I, so that I can get the artsound.gor file. Is this correct?

So it looks like there may be a few ways to get an online game? Although I'm not ready yet. Think I would be annihilated.

Pyro, the stuff in your started guide is very useful for a beginner, thanks.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

What linked EXE? I know there is an omnipatch file that would create the TFL plugin using some Myth TFL game files. However, that is not needed if you just download the full plugin from that link I posted. It was just an alternative method for the same thing.

There very much is a way for online play, either for multiplayer or coop.
darkhorse

Post by darkhorse »

Ah got it to work. The plugin file "Magma - The Fallen Levels v2" was identifying as unix executable for some reason. Was Ok after it went into the plug ins folder.

Strange thing happened. When I installed and activated the plug, its now telling me that the recent levels on Myth II that I had played are no longer available for some reason.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

try holding shift key while clicking on new game from main manu - it should let you start from whichever level you want
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

darkhorse wrote:Strange thing happened. When I installed and activated the plug, its now telling me that the recent levels on Myth II that I had played are no longer available for some reason.
It was made that way so it would sort of "hide" the default maps while activated. This way you only see the TFL maps. When you deactivate it, you will see the default maps once more.
Elfinstone

Post by Elfinstone »

I am amazed you guys are still playing this game.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not sure I even have it installed anymore.

However...glad to see some people are still enjoying one of Bungie's best.
Booo Halo...Yeah Marathon :D

Anyway...I spend most of my gaming time playing World War II online...which in various ways is like Myth in terms of community.

I invite you to load it up (mac/windows) give it a go and look for me "Elfin" on the Axis side of game play.
Best to all you old Mythers.
darkhorse

Post by darkhorse »

Been playing through Myth I now. Downloaded the Fallen Levels plug in that was recommended, and it all works fine. Certain things confuse me about Myth and the 'films' in general …

• How is it possible for the films to record all the movements and physics of the game - all within a file under 100k in size? I love this feature, never seen anything like it before. Seeing all your successes and failures, and even the physics and random factors all recorded. But how can the files be so small?

• Does Auto camera not work at all? seems to jump around.

Believe me, I still seem to be rubbish, and still cannot play competently without reverting to saves all the time. My suspicion is that the films and recordings you see have mostly been generated with many saves, because no one could be that lucky. You can suddenly lose half your men without warning. But thats what makes it great, the random factor I think. Very well thought out, and no two games are alike, which maintains its interest in a very unique way.

Thanks again to all those who have put so much of their personal time and effort into keeping this great and unique game alive.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

darkhorse wrote: • How is it possible for the films to record all the movements and physics of the game - all within a file under 100k in size?
The game doesn't record everything that happens, it actually just records your input (which is very small). Then when you watch a film, it just "plays back" your input and runs the game engine (physics, etc) again.
darkhorse wrote: • Does Auto camera not work at all? seems to jump around.
Haven't tried it late, but it was never particularly amazing :)
darkhorse wrote: My suspicion is that the films and recordings you see have mostly been generated with many saves, because no one could be that lucky.
Some people are actually just really good :) For people to prove their awesomeness, they'll play the game in multiplayer mode (you can tell by pressing F7 in the film and checking the top left) which prevents them from saving or altering the game speed.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Auto camera works, just not how you might have expected. It centers on the items with a higher value of tracking priority set in the settings of the items of the map like projectiles.

Once you get used to the map and units, you might not get surprised as often. Of course, some maps and difficulties are really hard. So after time, you might learn the patterns of some of them and what strategies are best to use on them.