Giving credit (among other things) should be a requirement

A forum for dicussing all matters related to the tain.
ozone

Re: Giving credit (among other things) should be a requireme

Post by ozone »

kingthrall wrote:well i know ghost because his games are usually labeled by Ghost ect on the plugin image when you are using the plugin.
Well if you read the posts in this thread you'll see that some people are using the plugin image as a way to give credit to the person... but like I said before the plugin picture doesnt always represent the part of the map/mesh you borrowed. So in a lot of cases this way of giving credit does not work at all. In fact, if I see a map that reuses the same plugin picture (without edititing it) as the original mesh I look at as a sign of extreme laziness and usually dont have to load the mesh to know its not worth playing...
do it.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

I read the readmes. No, really, I actually do. And while I'm in confession, I also read manuals. Does this mean I'm going to get kicked out of the Real Man's Club?
The cake is a lie.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

It depends on whether you read the manuals because you HAVE to in order to figure out how things work or for their entertainment value.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

well, I guess if not giving credit is the way, and not asking for permission is the normal, then mapmakers who create new units and maps and models, who are veeery few could well say: nobody is authorized to use in any way my creations, like creation games did
and sadly the community would suffer a lot, because it feeds on recycling old plugins...

the bottom line is, if people who did the original work (which in any way means it's superior to anything, but I assure you it definitely takes more time than anything....)
crave to be mentioned and respected...please do
it's not such a horrible petition....it's just something pretty fair...
:wink:
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
kingthrall

Post by kingthrall »

carlinho wrote:well, I guess if not giving credit is the way, and not asking for permission is the normal, then mapmakers who create new units and maps and models, who are veeery few could well say: nobody is authorized to use in any way my creations, like creation games did
and sadly the community would suffer a lot, because it feeds on recycling old plugins...

the bottom line is, if people who did the original work (which in any way means it's superior to anything, but I assure you it definitely takes more time than anything....)
crave to be mentioned and respected...please do
it's not such a horrible petition....it's just something pretty fair...
:wink:
I concur
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

vinylrake wrote:It depends on whether you read the manuals because you HAVE to in order to figure out how things work or for their entertainment value.
I can usually figure it out pretty well on my own. It's just that so often readmes and manuals have useful but obscure little tidbits in them. It sucks when you've been using something for a long time before finally finding out it does something totally awesome that you could have known about earlier if you'd just read the manual…
The cake is a lie.
Grayswandir
Location: Running rampant in the bowels of human stupidity...

Post by Grayswandir »

vinylrake wrote:well Gray, _I_ read your readmes. I even read them out loud and recorded them and saved them as mp3 files on my iPod so I can listen to them during my daily commute.
I love you.
Khadrelt wrote:It's just that so often readmes and manuals have useful but obscure little tidbits in them. It sucks when you've been using something for a long time before finally finding out it does something totally awesome that you could have known about earlier if you'd just read the manual…
This.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
--Mitchell Radcliffe
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

once again proving that you dont need renwood to have a heated argument about absolutely nothing on the magma forums :P
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Why make a meaningless post even bringing his name up, for the sake of replying to a thread that looks like it died June last year? Just sayin.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

Because its true, mostly. I remember people saying things like him being the source of drama, but the magma forums (and even mill forums) have always been place filled with drama. Seems like the community cant go a month without people getting at each others throats. It's just interesting, is all. Until I stopped to think about it a while back I never realized how caustic some interactions here can be.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

oddly, the forums have been overall pretty peaceful the past couple of months.

a couple of exceptions, true, but i can't recall any huge flamefests involving multiple people like we've seen in the past.

not attributing the flamefests or lack of same to the presence or absence of any particular individual or individuals, just thinking it's ironic you post about how caustic exchanges on the forums have been when they've been pretty civil of late.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

There is never one all source of drama. Some cause lasting drama while others cause temporary drama. Every now and then threads are made that will cause temporary drama... its the nature of all forums with people with different perspectives. The lasting drama causing people tend to convert temporary drama to lasting drama whether or not they started it quite easily.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

I regret to inform you all that I have uploaded my first plugin that contained a readme.

I feel dirty inside.
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
ozone

Post by ozone »

Zaknafein wrote:I regret to inform you all that I have uploaded my first plugin that contained a readme.

I feel dirty inside.
I probably won't read it but... GOOD JOB!!!
:P
Last edited by ozone on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
do it.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Bravo second'd
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD