Myth 3 and Lion

Talk about anything here.
Khadrelt

Myth 3 and Lion

Post by Khadrelt »

So with Apple abandoning Rosetta in Lion, and Myth 3 being a powerPC app, that means no more M3 if I upgrade, right? Or is there a universal version somewhere I don't know about? Ugh, I've got too many PPC apps left that I still use…probably won't upgrade anytime soon anyway.
The cake is a lie.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Myth 3 and Lion

Post by Pyro »

What about some sort of dual boot option? Is there such an option available for Mac users?

So you can have your cake and eat it too... even if it is a lie. :wink: [/reference to your signature]
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

intel macs can't boot into any Mac OS that pre-dates OSX (last I recall). you can dual boot into windows, osx, or some variant of unix (i assume), but pre-OSX OS has some calls to hardware that doesn't exist anymore - the 'rosetta' component of OSX translates pre-OSX calls into something the intel CPUs can handle, but without that, pre-OSX software can't run. at least i think that's the jist of it.

(which is why i didn't throw away my old dual boot G3 PPC Mac. It could boot into either OS9 or OSXso if i got tired of pre-OSX apps barely working under OSX (Amber worked if you started the app 3 times (the first 2 times it would crash, the 3rd time it magically worked) i could always just boot up in OS9.)
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I meant if you could have two OSX versions like Snow Leopard and Lion.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Exactly the reason I won't be upgrading to 10.7, unless Apple smarts up and open sources Rosetta or gives the technology to 3rd parties to make a new app based on it.
Point

Post by Point »

I will not be upgrading to lion if dozens of applications I already own and use will not work on it... and yes they say you can simply restart from an older os... though thats a lame fix... most people that run windows on a mac dont use boot camp they run software that alows windows and mac to run side by side... and running another vm fusion or sheep shaver type program that limits features and is prone to crash is certainly not worth an upgrade to lion.

Apple spurs some great innovations though, having to buy all new cables/adapters for their latest new smaller faster port connector or re investing in new software maybe a kick in the rear to developers to innovate and adopt new standards though it is a slap in the face to existing customers. And I don't like to be slapped not even by those I like...
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:I meant if you could have two OSX versions like Snow Leopard and Lion.
ah! interesting idea. which you could do of course quite simply if you have an external drive your hard drive has more than one partition. that's what i was doing with the OS9/OSX mac. it was a little kludgy in the old days - you couldn't choose the partition/drive to boot from at startup time, you had to boot up your system, open up your system preferences and change your StartupDisk preference then reboot to change systems. But I am 'sure' Apple has fixed that and put some kind of boot-partition-selector into the 'bios' so it's part of the startup sequence... right?
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

On my iMac G4 I am able to hold a key at startup to choose between classic OS9 and OSX. I can't remember which key right now.. I think the C key. Sure you can't do that on your g3 vinyl?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I suggest complaining to Apple.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Isolder wrote:On my iMac G4 I am able to hold a key at startup to choose between classic OS9 and OSX. I can't remember which key right now.. I think the C key. Sure you can't do that on your g3 vinyl?
I would have bet money that holding the 'C' key just made the booter look for a system folder on the CD inserted in the CD-Drive, but doing a quick search I couldn't find anything definitive so maybe you are right.

update: Just found a page of startup key combos - it says 'C' forces a mac to boot off the CD-ROM, and holding down CMD-OPT until the second chime will boot into OS 9. (hold X to boot with OSX)
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

You can have a dual-boot of OS X as long as the different systems are on separate partitions. Holding down Option as you start up lets you choose between available startup disks, including Windows partitions.

I just don't know if it'll be worth the bother and hard-drive space to create a dual-bootup. Unless Lion turns out to be a whole freaking lot cooler than it looks right now, I'll stick with Snow Leopard until either I'm left with no choice, I get an awesome new Mac Pro with tons of hard drive space, or someone comes up with a good old-fashioned hack that'll let PPC apps work in Lion. Either that, or I'll just dust off my old PPC Mac Mini and run all my PPC apps on it. I'm not ready to ditch all my PPC apps right now for the sake of Mission Control…
The cake is a lie.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Speaking of which, I've been looking through my System Profiler to see how many PPC apps I have, and noticed Fear and Loathing are listed there. Will they not work in Lion, then?
The cake is a lie.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

They require Rosetta so if Lion doesn't have it, you won't be able to use them...
Mılk Man

Post by Mılk Man »

If you restart holding down "option" it asks you which drive you want to start up from. Please make myth 3 + fear and loathing for lion though. Please?
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Fear and Loathing have been rewritten to work on Intel Macs. They are still in beta testing. If you wish you can help bug test and report issues to speed up getting all the kinks out.

Myth 3 was handled by Flying Flip which is defunct. ProjectMagma has nothing to do with that game. Unfortunately there really is no option to play on Lion+.