hey punkuser

Talk about anything here.
dac

hey punkuser

Post by dac »

is there a walkthrough for setting up the metaserver?

most of us beleive that it will be full of "gotchas" (i know the website isnt included, not sure about logins or ties to things, stats, whatever) and thats probably whats stopped people from actually making other servers.

i think my name's been locked, ive been forum banned and gagged long enough where i might just throw something together. likely not, but the info would be nice to have anyways.

shortlist of issues that came to mind:
1. account creation. need an interface to db or does everybody play as a guest or something?
2. how can people actually connect to it? mnet is part of the myth builds currently (as much as magma hates the idea of people thinking its affiliated with mnet)
3. are all the administrative tools and features included, or are those done through customization on the metaserver owners end?
4. can it run without talking to a web server to collect stats etc? i'm sure that game info is somehow sent to mnet currently.
5. how much bandwidth does it take? it seems simple enough. would I be stupid not to have it on a machine in a rack somewhere?
6. needs a domain name?

probably would start off running in my living room, as an intellectual curiosity at first.
dac

Re: hey punkuser

Post by dac »

7. can the metaserver add more . commands for easter eggs etc?
8. can it be done for actual functionality (other than text bars or w/e)

will probably have more later.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Not sure why you're asking punkuser, but the first thing you should do is just grab the updated server code and read the accompanying docs:

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/u ... ource-code

It should have answers for at least some of your questions.
dac

Post by dac »

mostly because he offered to help walk somebody through the process and id like to take advantage.

thanks for the link
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Just to preface this, I'm not an expert but I did glance at the readme's in that distribution that Myrd linked. From my understanding...
dac wrote:is there a walkthrough for setting up the metaserver?
There's some info in the readme that comes with the code on how to compile and run. Seems pretty straightforward.
dac wrote: most of us beleive that it will be full of "gotchas" (i know the website isnt included, not sure about logins or ties to things, stats, whatever) and thats probably whats stopped people from actually making other servers.
It depends. If you're trying to make something as full-featured as MariusNet then there's going to be some work (particularly on the web front). If you just want to throw up a server that people can host games on, etc. then it should be pretty easy. That seems sufficient these days given the low population.
dac wrote: 1. account creation. need an interface to db or does everybody play as a guest or something?
The default setup of the server code has this being something that you run a command to do (the database is just a text "flatfile" I believe). So either you can hook this up to a web interface or perhaps it may even be easier to just modify the metaserver code to do queries into an SQL database, then piggy-back user creation on one of the many free forum code things lying around. The new Myth metaserver uses MD5 for password hashing so that all works out naturally as well.

Alternatively, I believe you can compile in a mode where user account creation is not required. That might be the best for stage 1.
dac wrote: 2. how can people actually connect to it? mnet is part of the myth builds currently (as much as magma hates the idea of people thinking its affiliated with mnet)
There's instructions in the readme about how to create a "metaserver plugin". It's pretty simple... basically just entering the IP in Fear and making a plugin file. You can then just dump it in the "metaservers" directory of your Myth and use "Servers" to select it. I'm sure if someone starts up a server with a decently-reliable uptime and IP, PM would be happy to distribute the metaserver file with future patches (as they did with PlayMyth, etc).
dac wrote: 3. are all the administrative tools and features included, or are those done through customization on the metaserver owners end?
There's some basic stuff to customize rooms, etc. and some ".command" support I think, but I haven't looked into it in depth.
dac wrote: 4. can it run without talking to a web server to collect stats etc? i'm sure that game info is somehow sent to mnet currently.
Yes, but I'm not sure where the stats go. They get send to the metaserver by the host after a game so you could modify the code to do whatever you want with them (put them in a database, etc). I don't know what it does by default.
dac wrote: 5. how much bandwidth does it take? it seems simple enough. would I be stupid not to have it on a machine in a rack somewhere?
I'm guessing not very much since it basically just facilitates text queries and chat right now, but the Mnet guys could probably give you a figure.
dac wrote: 6. needs a domain name?
No, but needs a static IP I believe.
dac wrote: probably would start off running in my living room, as an intellectual curiosity at first.
Yup, that'd be a reasonable place to start testing. Then if you get something you're happy with you can always move it to some cheap hosting.
dac

Post by dac »

so are you saying you cant walk me through it?
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

... uhh... didn't I just do that? Take a look at the download and tell me if you have problems following the instructions in there to build it. It's pretty self-explanatory so you'll have to be more specific on what you don't understand.

To start, try to compile it with the "DEMO" setup, which is the account-less one. Is there any more info you need on how to do that beyond what is in the readme?

If you want to chat real-time we can get together in myth or something at some point.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

punk, is your sister still available?....

for shoutcasting the MWC'11 finals.

and maybe something else...

pertaining to myth of course....

Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

The Mariusnet app may be easier to set up than the Bungie one. Download here: http://www.mariusnet.com/ubbthreads.php ... q#myth_app
ozone

Post by ozone »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:punk, is your sister still available?....

Now I'm beginning to understand why... Im sorry guys.... I guess you were right all along... :oops:
do it.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Melekor wrote:The Mariusnet app may be easier to set up than the Bungie one. Download here: http://www.mariusnet.com/ubbthreads.php ... q#myth_app
Oh that's even better, I didn't know they distributed that. Thanks for the link! I assume this is binary-only though right, so no changes to the configuration/source?

Still, that definitely would be the easiest way to get up and running immediately.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

ozone wrote:
BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:punk, is your sister still available?....

Now I'm beginning to understand why... Im sorry guys.... I guess you were right all along... :oops:
Thanks for clearing things up that everyone on this forum lacks any sort of sense of humor. Appreciate it bro!
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Let's stay on topic here please...
dac

Post by dac »

poking around the code was certainly enlightening. i really dont like that i have to build it in cygwin but i love having the source available to change as needed. i found where to handle the .commands and such.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:Thanks for clearing things up that everyone on this forum lacks any sort of sense of humor. Appreciate it bro!
That is ozone's style of sense of humor. People tend to mistake it for being serious. Lighten up.