Spectating

Talk about anything here.
Surlythrall

Spectating

Post by Surlythrall »

Hello!

Sorry if this sounds like a lazy question -

Is there a spectating/observer mode where a guy can watch others to learn the map/pick up proper multiplayer tactics?

I should probably join a game and see but I'm afraid i'll waste a slot or end up interfering in someone's game :D
vinylrake

Re: Spectating

Post by vinylrake »

Unless you are the host you can't slip into a view-only mode, but when you join a game you can state your intention clearly and ask if you can join someone just to observe/learn. If you state up-front that you don't want any units and won't interfere or distract during the game you should be able to find players willing to let you team up. -- It might be more of an issue in some team games because the team that takes you will have one less active player, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Not guaranteeing you will find anyone, but a number of players have said they are willing to help new players learn the game. There was a topic on the mariusnet forums a month or two back where many players volunteered to help or indicate they are 'newbie' friendly - aka willing to play with new players and help them learn - or at least not yell at them and expect them to know everything.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Just to add to what VR said. Currently if the host chooses to be an observer, you can join the host's team to also be an observer. If the host does not have that option enabled then just do as VR said and ask to not be given units.
Surlythrall

Post by Surlythrall »

Thanks for the responses guys

I'll give it a shot sometime :)
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Note that we're also looking at improving spectating in future patches. No ETA but it's on the TODO list.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i don't approve of improved spectating features. people should be encouraged to play more than they watch. how about after half the game time is elapsed all spectators are dumped onto a team and given units automatically?

ok, so I was kidding, but before I'd ask for improved spectating features, i'd pay money (ok, not a lot, but still it's the principle) to have a 'willing-to-be-captain' switch on the pregame 'host lobby' that could be turned on or off so i could play large 2 team games with hardened vets knowing that i wouldn't end up randoming as cap and drawing their well-deserved wrath at my inept captaining.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

I hear DA's been working on that "not captain" feature for the better part of a decade, so I guess it must be almost done by now :wink:
Surlythrall

Post by Surlythrall »

Oh thank god,

Its quite scary to be made the leader of a bunch of experts when you're new :D

That feature wouldn't just benefit noobs
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Nah he isn't really working on it. I was just having a little fun at DA's expense, it's a bit of a running joke that he's supposed to code that feature. If he ever actually intended to do it, that was a long time ago, but I never miss a chance to remind him :P
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

I refuse to make progress on it unless Myth is ported to python.