Period key disconnects me from game

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Period key disconnects me from game

Post by vinylrake »

ok, anyone have any idea what could be causing this behavior?

some of my keys in Myth don't do what they are supposed to - zoom and pan (C,V) aren't working and the period key is acting like i hit the escape key - e.g. if i am in a game it pops up the 'save/leave/restart' dialogue box, if i am in a pregame it boots me out to lobby, of if i am in marius lobby it kicks me back to myth startup screen.

the keys work ok in other apps, I've typed this fine all the keys are working, so can't see as how it could be my keyboard.

i've checked my myth options and the keyboard mapping is what I expect it to be, i even tried resetting the keyboard layout to bungie-normal just to see if my options were corrupted or something i thought maybe resetting them might fix them but no luck, still can't zoom/pan and '.' is acting like the Esc key. other weirdness includes seeing the click-drag selection box on the screen but when i release the mouse button no units are selected.

i also deleted my preferences folder entirely, still no change.

suggestions?

oh, and this is happening in both 1.7.2 and a newer beta.
Last edited by vinylrake on Sat May 19, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Period key disconnects me from game

Post by Pyro »

When did this start? What OS are you on and what Myth version are you on? Did you try one of the private betas?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I first noticed it about a week ago. I had been having mouse issues so in case it was some weird USB conflict/short I swapped mice.

Mac OS 10.6.6, Myth 1.7.2 b374 I also tried it with b407 - same behavior... but both executables are in the same Myth II folder (i've had multiple m2 executables in my myth2 folder for years never had a problem before)
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

It is strange you don't have this issue outside of Myth. Load up Myth and check if the "Sys Key Layout" is checked in the Controls section. Try toggling it and see if Myth treats your keys as you would expect. If not... read on.

So I did a bit of searching online and found some possible ways to fix this. One possibility is that for some reason your OS does not understand or forgets what type of keyboard is connected to it. If this is the issue it can be fixed like this:
The fix for this is run the Keyboard Setup Assistant again. Sometimes there is a button for "Change Keyboard Type" visible in System Preferences/Keyboard. If not, you can try trashing the file

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist

Another possibility may be to open Terminal and type:

sudo open /System/Library/CoreServices/KeyboardSetupAssistant.app/Contents/MacOS/KeyboardSetupAssistant

Other things I read about were about stuck keys, possible hardware issues, and viruses.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

VR

take a test, try swap the keyboard ?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

what i've tried:

tried 3 different keyboards
tried 3 different mice (since click and drag to select units isn't working either)
tried deleting my Myth 2 local and preferences folders
tried reconfiguring my keyboard using the control panel
tried deleting the plist keyboard file in the system library then reconfiguring keyboard
tried using an Apple branded keyboard that the system automatically recognized so didn't have any configuration options to 'mess up'
tried completely 3 different Myth II installs in different folders on different HDs including 1.7.2.x, 1.7.1 public release, and 1.6.
tried toggling the "sys key layout" checkbox and several other keyboard-related options on the M2 preferences screen
checked other Mac system preferences to make sure expose/spaces or some other apple system crap wasn't conflicting with the C/V/. keys

what i've fixed so far

the period key in game no longer acts like the esc key

what's still broken:

pregame: hitting period key on mnet kicks me out of the pre-game lobby as if i pressed the Leave button
ingame: click and drag to select units does not work (pressing enter, or double-clicking to select units does work)
ingame: as soon as I start a game the camera zooms in to maximum zoom and stays zoomed in
ingame: C and V keys (zoom and unzoom) do not work so I cannot zoom out (other movement keys work fine, I can rotate, pan, move forwards, backwards, etc)

Even i I hadn't been through 3 keyboards I couldn't see how the ./C/V keys acting wonky in Myth could be a hardware keyboard issue since the keys work fine in other applications.
Ditto for the click-drag mouse issue. Click-drag works fine in other apps and on the desktop

I have to assume it's some applet/config thing that's running and causing this weird behavior but I am at a loss to even understand how whatever it is can effect only myth (whatever version of Myth II I run).

I don't expect anyone to have any helpful suggestions, I just didn't want anyone to think I gave up before trying the obvious (and some not-so obvious) fixes.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Ah! Creed! I've never seen this in my long years of mything.

and, if it is a specific viruses against the platform Myth? :shock:

Step on problem.

Hey Pyro help us.

:o
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

This has got to be one of the weirdest things I've ever heard. VR have you considered reformatting/reinstalling your OS?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

it crossed my mind, and i might have to do one of the two. either that or just get a new computer.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Have you tried booting into safe mode? That disables all non-essential startup items, etc., which could narrow down the problem.

Also, have you tried booting from a startup disk and repairing the disk and permissions? Messed-up permissions can cause a lot of weird problems.
The cake is a lie.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

What are your hardware specs: make, model, processor, memory, all that jazz, and what OS are you running?