First post from my new iBook!

Talk about anything here.
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

Just picked it up at the Apple store today.

14" G4 1.33 GHz with Super Drive.

1 GB of RAM on order!

:D
Mauglir
TopGunZ

Post by TopGunZ »

Good choice man! How do you like it so far?
"I tried sniffing coke once, but the ice cubes stuck in my nose"
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

It might be the best computer I've ever owned. I simply love it.

Let's see, first Mac I actually owned myself was an LC III -- not the best choice at the time because it only had a 30 MHz processor when most of the new machines had 40 Mhz. I expanded to 8 MB of RAM and thought I was totally pimped out :)

Next I bought a PowerComputing mini-tower that was 150 MHz, if I recall correctly. It came with a snazzy new Zip drive that held a whopping 100 MB per disk! I remember thinking, omg, nobody has files that big!

Then I bought one of the earliest G4 towers -- 450MHz, which I still have. It has served me very well for years.

The iBook is definately the easiest setup I've ever done. I didn't have to configure anything except my POP server setting for my e-mail account. Everything else was plug and play. We'll see in a few days how easy it is to install a memory upgrade, but I've heard it's pretty simple.

I opted for the top-end iBook model because it was the only that came with a Super Drive. My desktop can't burn DVDs, so that was a feature I really wanted in my next computer. I looked at some Power Books, but they're too expensive for what you get. The 12" PBs are really very similar to the iBooks, but they cost more and have a smaller screen. True, you get a slightly faster processor, but it's not worth the price hike. The 15" PBs will end up costing your two grand or more after the memory upgrade (which is pretty much mandatory) and that was out of my range.
Mauglir