Re: Plugin - Valley of Despair

Post by Platinum »

I'm mad. That is all.

GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

That was legendary online, full Valley of Despair level!? By yourself!? :oO

If so, i am very impressed. :o)

Tell me, have you been using the artifacts, or just going in vetted to the hilt ?? ;op
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I had an odd VoD experience recently (the single 3 'level' campaign). up until the first map everything seemed normal, went over the 1st bridge and had a huge force appear from behind following me across the bridge and even more units in the river that were trying to flank me but couldn't because of the steep terrain. got past them to the place where there are a bunch of stygs and fetch, up until that everything played pretty normal but after that things seemed broken. from that point on i met only token resistance, a handful of units here and there but no waves of thrall no myrk giants, etc. got past the 2nd bridge - same thing. the waves never appeared. found the shade and 2 myrms standing a little ways away but within sight of the final world knot. arcs too out the myrms and shade, duff destroyed all 4 pylons, game didn't end. (no defenses came to defend knot) walked back through the map - it was a ghost town. got back to the first map and things started triggering again. lots of enemies. went back over first bridge and now I've got myrk giant and other waves.
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

vinylrake wrote:I had an odd VoD experience recently (the single 3 'level' campaign). up until the first map everything seemed normal, went over the 1st bridge and had a huge force appear from behind following me across the bridge and even more units in the river that were trying to flank me but couldn't because of the steep terrain. got past them to the place where there are a bunch of stygs and fetch, up until that everything played pretty normal but after that things seemed broken. from that point on i met only token resistance, a handful of units here and there but no waves of thrall no myrk giants, etc. got past the 2nd bridge - same thing. the waves never appeared. found the shade and 2 myrms standing a little ways away but within sight of the final world knot. arcs too out the myrms and shade, duff destroyed all 4 pylons, game didn't end. (no defenses came to defend knot) walked back through the map - it was a ghost town. got back to the first map and things started triggering again. lots of enemies. went back over first bridge and now I've got myrk giant and other waves.
I would really like to review this film VR. Can you PLEASE upload it for me in my Uploads Box at udog.hl, or post a link where i can DL it, or if you prefer, email it to me. I am really curious as to how you apparently broke the script. Hopefully its a fluke and not an obvious oversight on my part. :oO
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

I used the artifacts. I didn't use any flaming arrows to that point. The artifacts come in handy on the last bridge and when taking out the cannons. I messed up one little thing though and it cost me the entire game. As you can see, the one corner of the world knot was struck several times by my dwarf, that's how close I was to beating it.
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

Platinum wrote:I used the artifacts. I didn't use any flaming arrows to that point. The artifacts come in handy on the last bridge and when taking out the cannons. I messed up one little thing though and it cost me the entire game. As you can see, the one corner of the world knot was struck several times by my dwarf, that's how close I was to beating it.
WOWZERZ!! :oO

Thats amazing and sOOkage all at once, soooo close to winning, yet defeat rears its ugli head. Sounds like you made a really nice attempt, and id be interested in viewing your near win. ;o)

You sparked my curiousity, never thought of it til now, what would happen if you won/lost at the exact same 1/30th of a second (tick) ?? Would either automatically win out over the other ?? Would Myth barf me out back to the main menu or the desktop ?? Hmmmm, may have to set up a test mesh and find out. ;op

I'd like to take this next moment to point out a particular part of the description for VoD at the Tain . . .
Valley of Despair
This is the original Bad Boy, and it is one-long-haul from start to finish. In my play testings on Legendary difficulty, I very rarely won, and when I did, never in under 3 hours.
While it is possible to beat this map playing SoLo, it realistically is more of a CooP map. So, unless you're a masochist, grab some friends to help out and see if together, you can destroy the Duergarr Knot in less than 3 hours on Legendary. I think you will find it to be quite challenging.
I think you have hearby proven, you ARE a masochist!! ;op

EDIT: Heh, just noticed, you almost had it under 3 hours too !! :oO

;o)
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

GHOST® wrote: You sparked my curiousity, never thought of it til now, what would happen if you won/lost at the exact same 1/30th of a second (tick) ?? Would either automatically win out over the other ?? Would Myth barf me out back to the main menu or the desktop ?? Hmmmm, may have to set up a test mesh and find out. ;op
Most likely it would be whichever logic gets checked first in the code :)
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

I really took my time, so under 3 hours is absolutely realistic, but you put yourself at risk for making minute errors that can cost you. You don't want t be 2 hours in and try to rush to finish just to mess up and ruin everything.
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

Platinum wrote:I really took my time, so under 3 hours is absolutely realistic, but you put yourself at risk for making minute errors that can cost you. You don't want t be 2 hours in and try to rush to finish just to mess up and ruin everything.
As the primary/sole tester of VoD for too many years, i can & do understand EXACTLY what you mean. Just imagine going through all that effort to get to the point to test the actions you just modified or added, only to realize, "DOH!! you forgot to activate the map actions you're currently attempting to test !!" :oO

Ah, the joys of Myth !! ;o)

:: returns to his dungeon to continue the preparation of Heroes Who Dare for open beta testing ::