MegaMyth

Talk about anything here.
Twelve Motion

Post by Twelve Motion »

Why can't you guys do with Myth III what you did with Myth II? Make Myth III have a soulblighter, and TFL plug in, and then you could play all three games online. I mean they all run on the same engine don't they?
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Yes and no. My bet is remaking all the units to be 3d from m2 and tfl is too huge a task for too little benefit. Likewise, porting them backwards would produce bad looking sprites.

EDIT: not to mention tag work and coding
(AKA Captain Trips, Amadeus)
Blades ~FF~

Post by Blades ~FF~ »

Myth III's engine is a fully 3-Dimensional engine complete with complex 3D units. Myth II's engine is primarily a 2D engine made to look like 3D. It uses sprites. There are units in M2 and TFL that are not in Myth III and those units would have to be created, tagged, and tested before you could achieve a decent facimile of the balance in TFL and Myth II.

It would be a monumental amount of work. The port of TFL's levels from TFL to Myth II is something that was likely far "easier" and that still took months of work (just ask Iron) and testing.

There have been a few ports of some individual levels from TFL and M2 that just used existing Myth III models ... however to do the whole game would require quite a bit of work and testing
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

I know SCORCH has put some work into a few Myth III Levels. The ones I've played are Willow Creek, Down a Broken Path and Stair of Grief. They can be found here

I found them to be quite fun. I like the MythII levels a lot more than the MythIII ones, so I hope he continues in his work.
Blades ~FF~

Post by Blades ~FF~ »

Just a little tidbit.

if you want to port the solos, you can also port the cutscenes now that the cutscenes have been converted to quicktime movies. Just download the cutscene from flyingflip.com hotline server.... give it a 4 letter filename and the extension .mov..... so for willow creek you could do:

01wc.mov

Place the movie in the "movies" folder in your M3 install - then using Ballistic, give the pregame cutscene a code of 01wc... M3 will then play the cutscene before the level. I've done this successfully on a couple of TFL -> M3 ports for my own amusement.

In theory - it would be possible to pretty easily port the entire game to M3... but to do it "right" would require a greater attention to detail - and there might also be some scripting issues that need to be addressed.

We've ported a few solos where the scripting results in what we call the "h00r rush" where all on-map monsters attack at one time regardless of timing or location. Makes Mazzarin's Demise look like Barney Goes To Kindergarden.

NOTE: The cutscenes are encoded as MP4's.... so you will have to have Quicktime 6 or better installed to see them.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Very cool Blades, nice touch.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

I know Malek has done several solo ports also. Though they are mostly unfinished and so are not release worthy yet.

It seems every time i see him he has a new beta.
(AKA Captain Trips, Amadeus)
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I saw one - so nice to see those cutscenes in higher detail than those crummy old SMKS
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Twelve Motion

Post by Twelve Motion »

Myth III is 3d!? Man i thought it was exactly the same as I and II, I better re-install that and take another look eh?
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Myth III is 3d he says... haha.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Bagrada from TFL isn't half bad on M3 - but the units didn't get ported. Myrms = Forgotten, Jmen = Herons, fir'Bolg = arcs etc.

Still, it showed promiss and was a nice try - I'm looking for someone to do it with me on coop sometime.

Check out the Classic and Creation map-packs to see some fairly succesful ports of units - jmen&fetch are the most notable.

The Raid map on PlayMyth.net doesn't seem to work - any ideas why? The Giant was really underused in M3, added more as a respectful nod to raiders than anything else IMO and I always wanted to try that Raid map. Along with WWII, Raid is important to make a good port of (lets not get into a discussion about WWII M3 right now, it's off topic & repetitive) because along with dorf riot and ghol riot it's one of the more commonly played 'alternative regular gameplay' map-packs
TopGunZ

Post by TopGunZ »

it is!?!?
"I tried sniffing coke once, but the ice cubes stuck in my nose"
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Hey how do I pronounce your name - TopGuns or TopGunZee