AW Beta Released! - It sure is.

Talk about anything here.
Cubic Circle

Post by Cubic Circle »

The beta comes with a crappy singleplayer level and a not so crappy multiplayer.
Mapmaking I am not good at.
Also included is the AW themesong! ^_^

Please post feedback.

Now try it, would you not?

This link, it is...

http://www.squalorbase.com/aw/
You will need stuffit expander.
Jinsei wa geemu da
Phex

Post by Phex »

I tested you plugin.

I really like your unit composition, its very funny to play arround with these little guys. The flavor texts are so funny! Really good work! :-) I think you could work on the explosions a bit, they dont seem to fit into the style of the other units. However the blood squirting out of the dying bodies is awesome! So is the space laser beam attack of the infantry commander and the suicide robot :-)
Nevertheless its not really clear what all the units are made for: what are these green dots the support units lay down supposed to be? What can these AGRO drones do except from floating arround? What are colour guards able to do? And why do the stormtrooopers look like officers? A unit description would be helpful... (I would also be interested in the background story of your conversion, if there is any).
I also miss headshot pictures ... :-(
To sum it up, the overall impression of your units is very good and unique, it plays a bit like Z.
On the other hand, you maps are very boring - sorry to say that - but there are only about 5 colors and most areas are flat and without any scenery. Add a lot more of your nice little trees and barrels, make some rivers, streets (with your nice little laterns), or impassiable hills, ambient life, maybe retextured models - whatever, just anything to make it look like something that is fun to fight on. Btw, the overhead map does not tell anything about the terrain, which can be confusing.
I also noticed that some units are not able to move. Maybe make them only appear on ctf, assassin and similar gametypes. I dont need units at my base when I play lmoth.
Just noticed: the sound on the solo map is spooky! Very weird, but cool somehow.

Eventually, I would like to see you working on the plugin a bit, especially on the multiplayer map(s)! (the solo map seems to be a test map). Also note that usually maps have names (give them a stringlist with their name).

I hope some more will download it to make it possible to play online! Image

rgds,
Phex.

PS: the .sit-file seems to be broken, I could only open 1 (which was the plugin) of the 2 content files.
Cubic Circle

Post by Cubic Circle »

The supply captain drops low level armors that can be picked up by any unit you want to give that extra protection to. On the multiplayer map, other, better armours are scattered about as an incentive against campers.

The Agro units does nothing. Seriously, it is just made for recon. Which is very handy combined with the Satellite laser beam attack in multiplyer.
I guess. I have actually never played it myself.

The colour guards are supposed to boost morale, but I haven't got those nifty new versions of Fear, so I can't make them. But they kick ass none the less.

Well, the storm troppers look like officers in some regards, they wield different weapons, and have not got such elaborate clothes. The infantry command have more detailed clothes, where as stormtroopers are basically just black. BTW, all officer units have brown clothes. Supply captain, infantry officer, infantry command. These are all officers.

Unit description was suuposed to be covered in a read me manual accompaning the true release, as this is just a beta. Pressed for time, I forwent it.

The thing about AW was that it should be a very open story. Players compose their team (nation) and story by them selves, then challenge other "nations" on the internet.
AW is supposed to feature alot more diverse units paving the way for almost any type of scenario.
(Zombies, aliens, mutants etc...)

Untill you can make random headshots, I won't make any. Random headshots would be neat, to go with the random personality of the units' flavour.

The thing is, I suck at mapmaking. I really do. I can't script, make water or models... I've been begging (well, not really) for someone else to make them for me.
I make the units, they make the scenario.

The overhead map rocks, in my oppinion. It's more of a radar, and as you say, it tells you nothing of the terrain...

All units should be able to be traded if you don't want them in a multiplayer game, or at least I thought I made it that way. This is so that you will always have the team you want.

Sound on the solo map? What sound? I have to check that out.

So the sit is broken you say? As long as the plugin survived... the other file is the external theme music. It's an AIFF file, or an MP3 I think...

Hope I answered all your questions adequetly.
Jinsei wa geemu da