Which Samurai look better? - Need help making decision...

Talk about anything here.

Which Samurai look better? - Need help making decision...

Samurai from the Bushido Plugin
40%
Samurai from the Assassin Plugin
60%

Total votes: 5

Taelactin

Post by Taelactin »

I'm starting to work on a plugin involving japanese type units (i.e. Bushido type units) intermingled with regular undead and living units... but I'm having a very hard time deciding between the Bushido Samurai Swordsmen, and the Samurai from Assassin...

All I can say is that I'm actually leaning towards the Samuria from Assassin, because they just look... neater... they're not as detailed as Bushido Samurai and their attack doesn't look as good as the latter.

Everything about the Bushido Samurai look cool, it's just that they look like they're taking babysteps when moving. That and they got arched backs.

I know it's pretty stupid arguing about such trivial stuff, (as well as the fact that my observations may seem too stupidly deep) but it would actually help me out if some people could give me some advice about who they think is better...

Thanks!

-Taelactin
NO MATTAH WHATCHA SAY MAPMAKERS NEVAH DIE THEY JUST RETALIATE WITH TAGS THEN THEY MULTIPLY
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

I think I'm with you on this one. Cydonian's samurai are very detailed, however their animation is a bit, well, weird in some respects. I like how the Assassin ones draw their swords from the scabbards for each attack, and they are well animated. Just a pity that they're rendered so small & with so few frames.

In the end though you should really go with whatever you like the most, as its your project after all ;)

Remember though that if you do go with the Assassin unit, you should contact the author of the plugin. From the readme ... "All of the units, scenery, models and artwork on this map are the sole property of John Dames. NO PART OF THIS WORK MAY BE USED WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM JOHN DAMES (dames@stlnet.com)" (upper case is his). Doesn't hurt to drop him an email and make sure its ok to proceed ;)
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Taelactin

Post by Taelactin »

Thanks for the advice, Iron. I'll think it over a little bit more but I think I'm going to go with the samurai from Assassin. I'll be sure to email Joh Dames about it as soon as I can. Do you think if I don't get a response from him that I could continue with going ahead and using it? Assassin came out in, what? 1999? I've tried contacting several people in the past when I was working on different plugins (that I never released being the lazy bum that I am) and haven't been able to get any response.

I have one more question, where can I find the Hexotagset v2.0 plugin??? I've been looking all over the internet and several hotline servers for it. Can't find it anywhere! I'm specifically looking for the catapult unit that's in it, so if anybody could help me out with that I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks!

-Taelactin
NO MATTAH WHATCHA SAY MAPMAKERS NEVAH DIE THEY JUST RETALIATE WITH TAGS THEN THEY MULTIPLY
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

The asssasin one is much more underused so it would be fresher for many players. It's a real shame that they never really finished assasin, they just compiled what they had. That's why it has a lot of detail for a single level map-pack :\
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

It was Daimyo they didn't finish. Assassin was just a grab-bag of stuff from that much larger project.

Tal its not really for me to say whether you should or shouldn't use it, assuming you can't find John Dames. In the past people have re-used content when the author was unavailable - Creation's Peace on the Ramparts for example - but its more complex here as John specifically said not to use anything without permission.

In the end its really your call. Another recent thread on this forum has investigated the legalities & moralities in depth, so I don't think its best to restart that here. If you can't contact him and you do use it, it goes without saying that he should be very conspicuously credited & a note in the Readme saying that you couldn't find him etc.

I'm not sure where Hexo v2 is. Have you tried hotline.clanplaid.net?
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

I believe John Dames was aka Deathwhore who wrote the "Myth Handbook" if that helps you find him.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Nah, Deathwhore is Charles J Holt. Dames was "Bad Craziness". Deathwhore did do artwork on the Daimyo project though.
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

that explains it.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Really the legal issues aren't what is at stake (for most people who don't register much as theirs) but how the community will react to it. I think The Wolf took some units for The Northlands without permission, and there's some illegal music in there.

Shhhh don't tell Howard Shore or Peter Jackson!
Archer

Post by Archer »

Copyright applies automatically and as soon as something is created. If the plugin was created in '99, you should be free to use it without permission seventy years after the creator's death.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
al capone

Post by al capone »

i've got the plugin, do you have yahoo? aol? or msn?

i can send it through to you. it's 9.86 mb
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

I found this thread on search, and was wondering if anyone had ever had any luck contacting John Dames, since that old e-mail doesn't work anymore and I would like to use something from Assassin! in one of my plugins.

Thanks.