Myth II 1.8.3 Public Beta [Updated]

Talk about anything here.
GodzFire

Re: Myth II 1.8.3 Public Beta

Post by GodzFire »

It would really be great too if possible if Fear and Loathing could get updated so they would detect and use mouse scroll wheels.
wwo

Post by wwo »

Issue: keyboard input errors

Since 182, possibly 181, continued with 183

Examples: missing presses, B & V keys getting swapped, continued input after release

This is the only <anything> on this computer with this behavior, which lingers even after Myth is quit, and resets to normal only after a reboot.

W7. Will provide any other information requested. Built in 2012.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

wwo wrote:Issue: keyboard input errors

Since 182, possibly 181, continued with 183

Examples: missing presses, B & V keys getting swapped, continued input after release

This is the only <anything> on this computer with this behavior, which lingers even after Myth is quit, and resets to normal only after a reboot.

W7. Will provide any other information requested. Built in 2012.
by W7, do you mean Windows 7?

Is the "System Keyboard Layout" checkbox checked in Myth's "controls" preferences screen?

Is your keyboard a standard US keyboard? If not, what type is it?

Is your keyboard connected via wireless?

Do you use the windows language bar? Do you use a non english language/layout?

Do you use alternate layouts e.g. dvorak/azerty?

Do you use any 3rd party software related to input or keyboards?

When the problem appears, how consistent is the behavior? e.g. if B & V are swapped, are they swapped permanently until reboot or is it random every time you type?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Industry wrote:I'm getting an "Installed Failed" while extracting the files. For the OSX Installer. Upgrading my 446 build on a 10.7.5 machine.
I found and fixed a bug that could cause this. The installer links have been updated to the fixed version (as well as to a new build with a later expiry date). Can you try it out and confirm that the problem is resolved for you? Thanks!
GodzFire

Re: Myth II 1.8.3 Public Beta [Updated]

Post by GodzFire »

There's something really messed up with keyboard lag in the new version. The forward/back/left/right controls have some severe lag time to them now.

Use my Mazz concept build for an example: https://www.sendspace.com/file/qru7ol

Go to the edges of the map and try doing various pans and orbits and stuff.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

GodzFire wrote:There's something really messed up with keyboard lag in the new version. The forward/back/left/right controls have some severe lag time to them now.

Use my Mazz concept build for an example: https://www.sendspace.com/file/qru7ol

Go to the edges of the map and try doing various pans and orbits and stuff.
Thanks for reporting. I tried it, but couldn't repro. Would appreciate if others could try to check as well.

This is new to build 451? One theory I have is it might somehow be related to custom key bindings. If you temporarily rename your preferences folder (so prefs reset to defaults), does it still happen?
king paris

Post by king paris »

new beta broke size of lobby ;/
hey :D
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

king paris wrote: new beta broke size of lobby ;/
What are the steps to reproduce this? Lobby looks fine to me on my machine.

Can you post your myth log?

What is your desktop resolution and windows DPI/zoom setting?

What is your myth pixel zoom setting (right click menu on myth titlebar/taskbar)?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I talked to par who said he was reported it on behalf of another person. Messaged that person and he reinstalled his graphics drivers which he claimed fixed the issue. Before he reinstalled his drivers, he sent me a myth log that used 1.8.2. Though I guess it no longer matters as he is running Myth fine now.
Scanning for software devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for DirectX 11 devices...
Found adapter: Microsoft Basic Render Driver
Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
Found 0 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
Found 1 to use
GDI Generic | Microsoft Corporation | OpenGL 1.1
Warning: ChangeDisplaySettings() failed! Result code = -2. Details = (mode=640x480, fullscreen=1)
Warning: Could not setup fullscreen 640x480x16, falling back to windowed mode.
Initializing sound with DirectSound...
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
DirectSound initialized successfully.
Myth Crashed: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Attempting Stack Trace...
0 0x00484c94 _rasterizer_supports_vsync + 0x0011 (myth2code\hardware\hardware_rasterizers.c:887)
1 0x00432499 _limit_framerate + 0x0098 (myth2code\main.c:549)
2 0x0046f399 _platform_specific_update + 0x0004 (myth2code\shell_windows.c:397)
3 0x00432539 _update_everything + 0x005c (myth2code\main.c:607)
4 0x0043235f _main + 0x0020 (myth2code\main.c:471)
5 0x0046f1eb _WinMain@16 + 0x0003 (myth2code\shell_windows.c:262)
6 0x004f7bc2 _WinMainCRTStartup + 0x0051 (crt0.c:251)
7 0x77288484 ? + 0x0000 (?:0)
8 0x77a9305a ? + 0x0000 (?:0)
9 0x77a9302a ? + 0x0000 (?:0)
Stack Trace Complete
Obelix

Post by Obelix »

Feature request:

Would it be possible to allow users to join a Netgame that has already started as "observers only"? It would be possible for them to see the status of the game, see the various battles in course, but they wouldn't be able to be given units or interact by chat with other players.

Once the game is over, they will be able to participate in the next game as regular players.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Couldn't that be exploited? The observer could be on a voice chat, letting one of the teams know what the other side is doing. Perhaps it would be better to allow people to double click games in progress and which allows the player to auto-join once it goes back to the game lobby. This way someone can reserve a spot while they do something else. Then have Myth alert you when it finally joins you to the game, like how it does now when you send a private message to someone.
Emerson

Re: Myth II 1.8.3 Public Beta [Updated] Game Size Problem

Post by Emerson »

I installed 1.8.3 and am having problems with the game size. It is only about 25% of screen and I cannot get to fill screen. Any ideas on how to expand to full size.

Thanks.
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Myth II 1.8.3 Public Beta [Updated] Game Size Problem

Post by Melekor »

Emerson wrote:I installed 1.8.3 and am having problems with the game size. It is only about 25% of screen and I cannot get to fill screen. Any ideas on how to expand to full size.

Thanks.
Replied in your other thread.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Posting this here so it's viewable by anyone and they can reply. Spent a few hours compiling all of this. With any of the stuff I can provide more information if needed.

———————————————————————————————

WEBSITE
1a- ‘What Is Myth?’ page (https://projectmagma.net/what/) needs to get it’s info, version, and links updated
1b- ‘Documentation’ page (http://projectmagma.net/docs/) needs updated documentation and links. Also, there is no link to this page on the PM site; it’s unreachable unless you know it’s URL or have it bookmarked.

REQUESTS
2a- Fear: Allow switching between menus when a single tag window is opened (currently you must close the single tag window first)
2b- Fear: Allow multiple single tag windows to be opened at the same time
2c- Loathing: Allow multiple toolbar options to be used at the same time (ie, unit dropdown, projectile dropdown, scenery dropdown all visible at the same time and are activate by clicking on the dropdown you want to work with.
2d- Both: Make font sizes adjustable / scalable to use & follow the options of the OS it's on (OSX: Display & Accessibility / Windows: DPI & font scaling)
2e- Myth: Increase the Projectiles item limit from 1024; For a map like Mazz, even with almost every projectile set to decay/disappear after a short amount of time, it's not unheard of to hit the projectile limit for long games.
2f- All: Make it default if any of the programs (Myth, Fear, Loathing) crash, they create a uniquely dated Myth log so it won't get overwritten. Optionally, but additionally: consider a debug poweruser flag that constantly writes everything to the log for easy diagnosis.

BUGS
3a- Myth II OSX: Crash 018-10-21 01.15.49, file attached

Code: Select all

/M/Myth2Code/shapes.c, line #317: assert: !shapes_globals->initialized
/M/Myth2Code/data.c, line #108: assert: data->data && data->count==NONE
/M/Myth2Code/sound/sound_manager.c, line #415: assert: !sound_manager_globals.initialized
/M/Myth2Code/commands.c, line #530: assert: queue && !queue->initialized
/M/Myth2Code/commands.c, line #530: assert: queue && !queue->initialized
/M/Myth2Code/render/render.c, line #86: assert: !render_globals.initialized
[………] Segmentation fault: 11
3b- Fear/Loathing OSX: About Info / Version Info needs to get updated

3c- Fear: UI, string list, and settings inconsistencies between Mac & Windows versions. This includes matching up with the Fear/Loathing docs noted above. Examples from the Monster tag:

3d- Fear OSX: Spelling error on Monster tag string list for ‘Propelled System Shock’

3e- Fear OSX: ‘Doesn’t Flinch when healed’ Extended Monster Flag when enabled breaks units that heal. Encountered while working on my series of Mazz builds. Per Fear doc: “While being healed a unit will keep doing whatever it was doing rather than freeze in the flinch position while the healing takes place”. This works fine as intended on units with no healing ability. However if this flag is enabled on a healing unit (ex: Paladin or Heron Guard from said plugin using roots), and that unit tries to heal someone, the intended unit will instead have this strange white regen effect and only heal 10%-20%.

How to reproduce: Grab build G8 from http://tinyurl.com/godzmazz. Start the map, have healing units heal; working as intended. Extract plugin to local and enable above said extended flag on any of the healing units; start map again and try to heal; heal not working properly.

3f- Fear OSX: Crash 2018-10-20-140727, files attached.

medium iError: File system Create in /tools/MYTH 2/tag_files/tag_files.c, line #2665: couldn't delete local tag file ':GODZ:Games:Myth Series:Myth II - Soulblighter:local:sounds:mazz intro music'
Error: File system Create in /tools/MYTH 2/tag_files/tag_files.c, line #2633: couldn't create local tag file ':GODZ:Games:Myth Series:Myth II - Soulblighter:local:sounds:mazz intro music’
3g- Loathing OSX: Missing core functionality vs WIN build:
3g1— Map Actions: Up/down, promote/demote arrows missing (no way to move scripting)
3g2— Map Actions: Page up/down key functionality does not work
3g3— Map Actions: Cannot resize MA window
3g4— Map Actions: Typing a letter will not take you to the first word of that same letter in the list

3h- Loathing/Myth All: Make Mesh Edges Impassable / Flying Impassible terrain still causing units (both player and computer controlled) to ‘fall’ off map. This was encountered by HMP previously and myself while testing. It doesn’t matter what mesh height you adjust the borders to either. Per the Map Edges section of the Loathing doc: “In order to prevent units from wandering off the edges of a map, it is necessary to border the map entirely with a band of Flying Impassable (Used for preventing units from wandering off the map. No unit should be able to cross this terrain type) cells. Loathing performs this automatically by selecting Raise Mesh Edges, and then Make Mesh Edges Impassable from the Mesh menu.”. Loathing makes a two square Flying Impassable border around the map.

I believe I found the cause though. Included in the attached files is ‘Disappearing wall units’ film which uses the Mazz G8 build from above. You’ll notice that I try to force the units off the map, but they stay on. However, if either the player or AI controlled units are in attack mode, and they need to get around another unit to get to their target, they will then fall off the map. Something in the Myth code is causing that happen. It should be reproducible on any map with that scenario.

3i- Loathing OSX: Crash 2018-11-03 22:01:14, file attached

/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/shadowknight/Projects/myth2/tools/MYTH 2/definitions.c, line #426: vassert: lightning systems definitions are empty - definitions->definitions && definitions->count!=NONE
/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/shadowknight/Projects/myth2/tools/MYTH 2/definitions.c, line #345: vassert: lightning systems definitions are empty - definitions->definitions && definitions->count!=NONE
/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/shadowknight/Projects/myth2/tools/MYTH 2/definitions.c, line #306: vassert: lightning systems definitions are empty - definitions->definitions && definitions->count!=NONE
Error: Unknown in /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/shadowknight/Projects/myth2/tools/MYTH 2/definitions.c, line #591: projectile definition postprocess failed on 'Z heal regen det'.
/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/shadowknight/Projects/myth2/tools/MYTH 2/bitmaps.c, line #148: assert: (1<<bitmap->width_bits)==bitmap->width && (1<<bitmap->height_bits)==bitmap->height
/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/shadowknight/Projects/myth2/tools/MYTH 2/bitmaps.c, line #149: assert: (1<<(bitmap->width_bits+bitmap->pixel_upshift))==bitmap->bytes_per_row
FORUMS
To make things more streamlined, more approachable for users, and easier to maintain, I’d like to suggest the following edits. I would be happy to take care of all this myself if given the ability to do so.
4a- Combine General and Tain General Discussions: Not enough activity with the later to warrant it’s own section. Merge into a single that says “Talk about anything here including matters related to The Tain”
4b- Combine Map-making and Technical Support: Same thing here; redundant sections that could be one single support section.
4c- Eliminate Private Testers Forum and move content to either General Discussion or Support: I know what you’re thinking, but please hear me out. The Myth user base is so small now, that anyone that can help or offer feedback or test builds should. It already happens where links to new builds are given to people who don’t have forum access to test, in fact even just recently it was requested by the devs to try a newer ‘private’ version to see if it fixed a user’s issue. We can’t have this partitioning anymore. It would only benefit, strengthen, and prolong the community by making this change.

SPECIAL REQUEST
5- Addition to Artifact tag: Add ‘overhead’ sequence to display a collection image over the unit in question.
Background: I had an idea from another plugin to create an overhead visual display of the item inventory - Shows what attacks your current inventory is set to over the head of the unit. This allows for instant recognition of which spells you are on and reduces potential mistakes. Would be very useful for other spell inventory units like Mazz, Paladin, Ranger/Archers, Pyro, etc.

I added a proof of concept of the feature to the Electromancer of my Mazz builds and implementing it with the makeshift combination of a custom created local projectile enabled on a monster tag. While this works, the implementation method is not feasible for a few reasons.
a- Because it’s tied to a monster tag, any unit that would get a different display would need a separate unique monster tag
b- Requires the creation of as many unique LPRs as monsters tags to use them with
c- The LPR doesn’t have an associated Local Physics tag option that perfectly follows the unit while moving or moving the camera around the unit. See below when taken head on camera center, and other angles
d- Each LPR counts towards the LPGR limit, which was quickly reached when doing my proof of concept after only being able to do the 1 unit. Beyond that, if I added more, the game would either not open or crash, stating there are no more LPRs available.

Solution & reasoning: Add a section in the Artifacts tag to display the collection overhead, much like overhead text would be. See the below proposed method. Why this works:
a- Not tied to a monster tag, but instead the Artifact from which it’s part of; which already allows for multiple inventory items and selecting between the different ones which modify the monster tags already as implemented
b- Does not use up any critical map limits like projectiles or LPGRs
c- The Artifact tag is already pulling from the collection to be used as the Inventory/Ammo picture
d- Would have no compatibility conflict with any previous plugins
e- Should be (relatively) easy to implement

I really hope this can be considered and make it into 1.8.3 still. I’ll do whatever testing end user wise I can.
Attachments
files.zip
(24.2 KiB) Downloaded 453 times