Ultimate Team Battles - July 4th release

Talk about anything here.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Finally, after much ado and delay, ‘Ultimate Team Battles’ is slated for a July 4th weekend release.

In order for me to be motivated enough to finish it, certain scripted concepts have been dropped, such as unit set swapping and handicapping. While nice ideas, completing them over a number of maps proved to be too daunting a task, and frankly, they were a bit confusing for players and rarely would have ever been used.

Instead, the number of meshes has been expanded from 18 to 45, including ports based on ‘Garden of Good and Evil’ and ‘Death in Beggar’s Canyon’ from TFL’s Unity 2 plugin by Clan of the Bear. Thanks to Myth II 1.5.1’s stability, every other multiplayer game of Myth you’ve ever played will look like skirmishes compared to the battles here. The size of the armies on all the maps is HUGE, to say the least.

Also included in the 45 meshes are 17 massive FFAs and of course, unique unit sets such as: TFL units and physics vs. M2 units and physics, Good vs. Evil, Light vs. Dark, and Soulblighter vs. Alric, all tested for balance and fun.

While I’m biased enough to think Ultimate Team Battles is the most fun multi-player plugin ever, I’ll be the first to admit it’s also not for everyone. First of all, it’s designed for vTFL, and while some maps work great for M2, many will either crash or be terribly imbalanced without vTFL being set. Also, there are so many units that you really need a bare minimum of six people to play it, and ideally you want ten to sixteen. Finally, some people will have trouble adapting to the tactics required to win on maps where each team gets a different unit set, such as Light vs Dark or TFL vs M2. Noobs to Ultimate Team Battles will no doubt declare these maps imbalanced. But despite being something of a “niche” map, I think many people will enjoy how unique it is, and I look forward to hosting lots of late night games of it on PMnet very soon!
lank

Post by lank »

ohhhh... you evil, evil man! that's right in the middle of my holiday and i'll have to wait almost two weeks to be able to play it.

i'll be drooling looking forward to it. :)

pity about the set-swapping, but obviously fair enough.

woot!
*toot*
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

ChrisP wrote:all tested for balance and fun
Amen to that
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

I think it sounds like good fun to 1v1 on with all melee :cool:
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

what is that
"In order for me to be motivated enough to finish it, certain scripted concepts have been dropped, such as unit set swapping and handicapping. "
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Zeph, unit set swapping was when, for example, one team's captain had the Light unit team, but really wanted the Dark unit team. Vice versa for the other team's captain. If both captains hit taunt on a specific unit within the first X number of seconds of the game, they would swap sides, ie. Light and Dark.

Unit set swapping proved more problematic to script than it sounds. I tried scripting it and failed. lank tried very hard, and had it mostly working, but it was still buggy. Finally, Silicon Dream worked on it for months and got it to work. Sili's not been around lately, but hopefully he'll understand why I didn't use it in the final plugin.

Handicapping was the ability for the host, via difficulty settings, to make one team or the other weaker by removing units before the game started. This was easy to do, but there's no point having it if without unit set swapping.

Edited By ChrisP on 1119368636
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

ahh, i see, interesting :(

too bad it didnt work...
Shocker

Post by Shocker »

W00t!
ska

Post by ska »

I can't wait :)
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Glad to hear it, ska. :)

Actually, till Doobie gets around to updating the site with the official release (he's in the middle of moving, and I imagine pretty busy) you can download the final for Ultimate Team Battles now at:

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Myth%20II%201.5%20Stuff/Plugins/released/

Hope you like it!
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

The cat is out of the bag! ChrisP you scoundrel I bet Doobie feels like his toes have been trodden on

<goes back to playing UTB>
<comes back>

Let me jump on his toes too!

(your plugin rocks by the way.)

Hey - sometimes Cid and I hang around Playmyth and people play this plug called CBI or CB1 or CBl, I dunno... what the hell is it?
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

CBI is usually played with the our farewell tagset (Renwoods/oogas creation)

It's just a tagset to use on a few coop levels which is very difficult and very prone to crashing.
Horus

Post by Horus »

It's only the 2nd of July CP :O
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Well I managed to grab a few people and force them to download it

Only one of our group of 5 didn't like it (mainly due to the need of vTFL on many maps) and the half dozen games I had on it were fun.

Now if only I could control more than 126 units at a time....
Phex

Post by Phex »

Good Work!
Thank you for the effort, I really appreciate your plugin!

rgds,
Phex