The Fallen's Vengeance gets a punch in the gut.. - But the show will go on!

Talk about anything here.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

For any of those following The Onyx Warlord's progress on The Fallen's Vengeance they will undoubtedly notice that the website is _still_ down. We're all crying here too, and the good news we won't have to suffer much longer. A local myther who can usually be found in unranked by the name of Golem, happens to live in my home city, and has offered us some free hosting on his big server. Thanks Golem!

But now for the punch in the gut. The other day while failing a disk image creation attempt, I managed to mount Age of Empires 2 onto my hard drive, so that when I opened 'Macintosh HD' I saw all my folders, layered on top of all the files you'd see when opening AoE 2 to install. I moved all my system prefs and user folders etc, to where they'd be safe, then did a band select and trashed all the other files to 'un mount' it. Accidentally, I grabbed my entire Games folder, including all my myth series, several other games, and absolutely every file pertaining to TFV. Thankfully, I had a back up from about 5 or 6 months ago on the laptop, and since the last testers beta was relatively recent, not a whole bunch of files were really lost.

Some things we did lose were all the 3d models for meshes I am still working on. Large setback there.

The show will go on, and hopefully upwards!
Slinx

Post by Slinx »

Too bad. Was wondering why site wasn't up when I checked the other day.

Just installed AoE 2 the other day as well. If you are ever up for a game.
A real enemy is someone who hates you enough to disprove what you believe, even though they may share the same beliefs.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Im sorry!
kickenwing

Post by kickenwing »

I blame Ara.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

The website is down?
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Sorry to hear it Gray.

If I were you I'd upload your sig-banner somewhere else. uDogs hl maybe?
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

That... really blows Graydon, sorry to hear it. Onward ho - usually, the case with things you get rid of is that it's better the 2nd time you do it anyway. But you'll always miss the 1st one. Hmm.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Fuck redoing it all.. hahaha. That was three years of work. I've been kicked back 6 months. I've still got most of the work that was commited.
mcchazo

Post by mcchazo »

wow..when u delete something on a mac you cant retrieve it..?
Horus

Post by Horus »

He could, but the recovery system doesn't give file names, so he'd have to recover ever file he's ever deleted. Then sift through that to find anything relevant.

It's not too big a set back though, since TFV progress hasn't been the fastest thing of late.

On the plus side the TFV site is getting a nice big overhaul along with the move, so it is more about the Onyx Warlords Map Making Group rather than just TFV (each of our confirmed projects will have their own subsections).

So that should be fun :D
Archer

Post by Archer »

mcchazo wrote:wow..when u delete something on a mac you cant retrieve it..?
When we delete something, it gets deleted. I know this is a tough concept, but try to follow along.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
tb

Post by tb »

there are tons of file recovery programs for macs, you just have to pay extra ;o

ps hasnt tfv been in production for like 3 years now?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Yes, about 3 years would be accurate. :) The first probably.... 45-55% was done by only two people, and even now, the group is about 4 or so strong and active.
mcchazo

Post by mcchazo »

Archer wrote:
mcchazo wrote:wow..when u delete something on a mac you cant retrieve it..?
When we delete something, it gets deleted. I know this is a tough concept, but try to follow along.

~J
it iz a very hard concept, i accidently delete things all the time omgZ, plz try to follow along mb mmkaY>>>? :roll:
Horus

Post by Horus »

Well the TFV site is back in working order (forums and all). Once Gray gets well again we'll be getting the Onyx Warlord site made and the TFV site will become a subsite to that.