Christmas Pack

Talk about anything here.
Bou

Christmas Pack

Post by Bou »

It would been cool if someone makes a christmas pack for myth 2.
Like al the original multiplayer maps covered with snow and christmas trees inclusive christmas music on the background. Duffs who look like Santa and explosive deers instead of wights(or wights with christmas outfits:P).
The plugin 'a very idiot christmas' contains only 1 level with bad unit sets, which isnt quite balanced.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

1 week for each level... about 14 levels... gg
Horus

Post by Horus »

1 week... take the colour map desaturate it, then invert it instant winter map!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Horus ™ wrote:1 week... take the colour map desaturate it, then invert it instant winter map!
Instant ugly winter map mb. But even if you can live with that as a color map - what about the scenery? Can't have summer and fallish trees on a winter map need to replace them with trees that have snow or at least replace them with evergreens or bare trees. And the shrubs and grass - they need to be removed or have snow on them as well. And the houses and models need snow on them too. Some of the fences probably need some winterization too. And don't forget the water needs to look like ice and the elevation map needs to be flat for ice instead of having depth for water, and the terrain map for water needs to be modified so all units can go over all frozen water areas instead of being depth limited by unit type as they are for water. Snow should show tracks of passing units too.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Changing trees and such is easy... if there already is a snow equal for it. The color map is the thing that would probably take the most... if you are making it from scratch.

Btw... thinking about this Christmas pack thing has been giving me ideas. But I doubt I will do it until next Christmas seeing as there is little time left (20 days til Christmas Day) and I tend to make one idea grow and grow.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:Changing trees and such is easy... if there already is a snow equal for it....
Well yes, that is true - if a winter equivalent already exists it's just a matter of manually changing a few dozen / hundred scenery/model assignments.

My point was mostly that there is a lot more effort involved in changing a map to be a winter map than just inverting the colormap. Not that some of the tasks aren't simple (though time consuming and tedious) but it is a lot more time/effort intensive than a Photoshop invert command.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

vinylrake wrote:Well yes, that is true - if a winter equivalent already exists it's just a matter of manually changing a few dozen / hundred scenery/model assignments.
The reason I say it is simple is that with the help of Graydon on a plugin I am working on, a desert map was converted to a grassy plains map. The scenery was replaced with an equal... without doing it manually. By manually I mean going to that spot in the map and place the new scenery and delete the old one.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I think a game with Xmas music constantly playing would drive anyone insane.
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

I'm working 9-7, 5-6 days a week in a music store for most of this christmas.. Guess what I'd really like to hear when I get home from that hell.. :wink: 8)
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Who says an xmas map HAS to have xmas music playing constantly?

I mean sure - having the same xmas song playing over and over again constantly can nudge a 'really good' map into the 'awesome map' category, but that doesn't mean an xmas map HAS to have xmas music.
Soulytfs_1

Post by Soulytfs_1 »

Ok i find this funny.

I dont think the CMaps will take that long, but you all over looked the XMas units now thats time consuming!

But i like this idea and if i had Xmas unit models i would have gave this a shot. :twisted:
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Soulytfs_1 wrote:Ok i find this funny.

I dont think the CMaps will take that long, but you all over looked the XMas units now thats time consuming!

But i like this idea and if i had Xmas unit models i would have gave this a shot. :twisted:
You could always start with the idiot units - the snowball throwing dorfs and the snowmen, and the exploding (rein)deer - but that is a good point, if you want a total xmas conversion map you would need some xmassy units.