Melee Protection Attack - Is It Possible? - A special protecting against melee?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

This is for anyone who wants to take a stab at this question, even though it may not be possible:

How would I make an attack that makes a unit immune to melee attacks? For example: You press T, the unit turns into a rock, and then if people are attacking him with melee attacks, they would then do no damage as long as he is turned to a rock.

Is it possible? I know that you can make a warrior have a shielding attack that protects against arrows and such, and I know how that is done, but this is a bit different and I just wanted to know if it was possible.

Thanks!
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

As far as I know, it is impossible to filter out certain kinds of attacks without scripting. One way it might be possible WITH scripting would be to activate it by taunting rather than by pressing T. You could use a TUNI script to see if that unit is taunting, and if he is, you could actually turn him into a different unit with the same collection but a different object tag using a MOMA script. Then you could script him to change back after a certain amount of time. This would be similar to the way the troll from The Seventh God changes from an invincible rock to an attackable troll when you get near him.

A-Red
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

The problem with what I just suggested is that since it involves scripting, you could only use it in a mapset, and if you are making a unit set (which I seem to remember you saying you are) you couldn't do it.

A-Red
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

I heard there's a way by creating a projectile in front of the unit that blocks attacks, but I don't exactly know how, Road knows though.
The other thing you could do is create an artifact that when that unit selects it in the inventory the artifact overrides the monster with myth 1.5 and basically the "new monster rock" has an invincible object tag...

I don't know if you can understand though, I just had more than a couple of beers and i believe I'm not being very clear...hehe
you can check myth 1.5 and artifacts to know better how to use that though...
erp :embarassed:
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Unkfolt

Post by Unkfolt »

If you watch a melee battle with warriors vs. brigands, you'll notice that occasionally they'll bring up their shields and block sword thrusts from an opponent in front of them. It's not controllable, but if you check the tag in Fear that gives a sequence to blocking, your melee unit will randomly block attacks from his enemy.
Unkfolt

Post by Unkfolt »

I meant check the "flag" in Fear, not "tag":blush:
Unkfolt

Post by Unkfolt »

Whatever, don't listen to me.:(
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Carlinho is correct. The most elegant solution is to take advantage of 1.5's inventory system and create an artifact/monster tag combo that can generate the effect you want. In the artifact tag, you can set the unit to take 0 damage to whatever types of attack damage you want. In the related monster tag, you can have your unit not be able to move or attack while invulnerable, if that is the effect you desire. The player will need to hit the I key inorder to switch between normal and "rock" modes.

Edited By ChrisP on 1100495138
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

If CP hadnt beat me to it.. I would have suggested using the 1.5 inventory feature.. Hit I and select an artifact that has been pre-given or found... the arti can do the changing of the tags etc for you.. to do WHATEVER you want. As long as the two monsters share the same collection tag, this will work fine :D
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

One other way is to change melee attacks so they are actually projectiles that are 'thrown' a very short distance, then give your unit a special ability which destroys projectiles in a small radius around it.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Jagman

Post by Jagman »

inventory would definitely be the best option - if you were set on making the effect a special ability you could create an invisible arti infront of you and use a geom filter to give it to the unit but this isnt really viable because there would be delays, you would need a devoted map action to do this and it would be near-impossible anyway if there were many of these units..

i dont think launching tiny projectiles works too well as a melee replacement - i think i tried to make an archer that could fire point blank but the arrows fire backwards if its too close.. kinda odd. otherwise you would have a small delay anyway for the proj to impact, and the proj destroying effect would take out things like arrows as well.

note that arrows do kinetic damage, so for the artifact obj make sure u only slashing damage to 0.. unless you want to block arrows out as well
Road

Post by Road »

Yeah, the shield thing that Oogz made only works on projectiles and doesnt work on melee attacks. The best way as stated befor is to have an artifact that turns the unit invulnerable for awial.
If its for a tagset you can have the unit use Inventory to drop a artifact that it picks up.
If its for specific maps you can use a simple script that "gives" the unit the artifact.
If you wanted a statue effect you can make the artifact monster immoble, unable to attack, "can not be auto targeted" and a stone detenation when hit.
The "cannot be auto targeted might not help much with real players but AI will just ignore the unit when in staue mode.