sup play-myth

Talk about anything here.
Enculator

sup play-myth

Post by Enculator »

any news from blade ?
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

I haven't heard anything since he last update the page which was several weeks ago. By several I mean 2. But still...

It's a bit suffocating to the community this way: Everyone sticks around playmyth, but the new players (I can think of 5 or so, just off the top of my head) can't register, so they just hang around marius. But there are only ever like 2 people on marius, so they don't stick around long...

-DA
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Death's Avatar wrote:I haven't heard anything since he last update the page which was several weeks ago. By several I mean 2. But still...

It's a bit suffocating to the community this way: Everyone sticks around playmyth, but the new players (I can think of 5 or so, just off the top of my head) can't register, so they just hang around marius. But there are only ever like 2 people on marius, so they don't stick around long...

-DA
It would be nifty if Blades could update the login db with a handful of guest accounts to tide the community over till the registration process is functioning again. If there were just 10 guest accounts with names like 'guest01', 'guest02' with matching passwords that would probably meet the needs of new people arriving.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

vinylrake wrote: It would be nifty if Blades could update the login db with a handful of guest accounts to tide the community over till the registration process is functioning again. If there were just 10 guest accounts with names like 'guest01', 'guest02' with matching passwords that would probably meet the needs of new people arriving.
It hard enough getting new members to get myth, install the updates, figure out that Bungie isn't the server anymore, and direct them to where they need to go. Organizing a series of guest accounts like that just seems like a bit much to me.There is an easier way :/

I mean, I know Blades is busy, he has real life going on, he puts this on for free, and I thank him for that. But really, the Playmyth status is nothing less then deplorable (maybe nothing more...whatever). There is a perfectly good metaserver that has accounts (and guest accounts already), ranked, ranked coop, and all the bells and whistles. Just no one wants to use it because the wreckage of Playmyth is still up (No offense to Blades or any of his efforts in any way or form. The server has just seen better days.). Just my thoughts...

-DA
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Death's Avatar wrote:It hard enough getting new members to get myth, install the updates, figure out that Bungie isn't the server anymore, and direct them to where they need to go. Organizing a series of guest accounts like that just seems like a bit much to me.There is an easier way :/
Well the guest account suggestion was specifically to answer the dilemma of people not being able to find people to play with BECAUSE existing players are still on PlayMyth.

I am sure the longer PlayMyth is invisible to the outside world/casual observer the more players will migrate back to Mariusnet. Either that or the game community will shrink even more dramatically as the occassional player reinstalls myth and finds the playmyth site down and they don't remember their password.

But mariusnet hasn't been supporting password logins for very long (recently) and there was no website or forums so it's going to take a while for people to make the switch.

-DA[/quote]
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

vinylrake wrote: But mariusnet hasn't been supporting password logins for very long (recently) and there was no website or forums so it's going to take a while for people to make the switch.
(Unless I misread what you typed, which is very possible...I am tired and Godel is to blame)
www.mariusnet.com indeed is a website :P

Not to mention that sweet forums button takes you to:

www.mythforums.com, where you can get in touch with the guys running, join orders, link your account, spam BrainBug and Ascot, etc. etc.

It is fully functional, fully accessible, and fully usable.

As long as PMnet is up, no real switch will occur :/

-DA
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

I never knew why some ppl keep playing on broken M.net instead of making account on pm.net during last years - now I have no idea why all stay on pm.net instead using reborn M.net...
I'm not playing right now - no net in house till June :( but when I'll be back - and if things will still look as they look now - Ill jump on m.net - and rest of The Nine too I think.

cheers
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
AblitERateOR

Post by AblitERateOR »

there are too many people that like the points and ranks and stuff that they have, or probably dont even realise marius has ranked. It's sad people still care about points much, but they do, and theyl stay there, so the others will stay cause thats where a lot of games are, so everyone ends up staying yeah
Mac OSX 1.4.9
Intel 1.83 Dual Core iMac
1GB RAM
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

I'm pretty sure the PlayMyth.net metaserver supports guest accounts like MariusNet does, but the feature just needs to be turned on.

Post by Avatara »

I kinda already made the jump.... the people I encounter at mariusnet are generally nicer and aren't hank h00rs.
Also, It's much easier to get a vTFL (and even TFL) games going.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Death's Avatar wrote:
vinylrake wrote: But mariusnet hasn't been supporting password logins for very long (recently) and there was no website or forums so it's going to take a while for people to make the switch.
(Unless I misread what you typed, which is very possible...I am tired and Godel is to blame)
www.mariusnet.com indeed is a website :P
Note: "...and there WAS no website or forums ".

Until a couple of months ago (or more recently?) all there was at mariusnet was a placeholder page saying the server was running and that you could use a guest login since accounts weren't active, and there were no download links or instructions or forums.

TODAY mariusnet is a reasonable facsimile of what it once was.

fwiw, I used to play on mariusnet all the time and found it to be a fun place to play and it definitely had less emphasis on ranked shenanigans. I only switched because for a while mariusnet wasn't consistently stable and that coincided with the time frame when myth game server people/developers were having server battles - e.g. releasing versions of M2 that didn't easily connect to the 'other' (mariusnet) server.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Eddaweaver wrote:I'm pretty sure the PlayMyth.net metaserver supports guest accounts like MariusNet does, but the feature just needs to be turned on.
Well Bungie.net did, so it woulda had to be a deliberate addition by Blades.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

There was never a version of bungie.net that supported guests and non-guests at the same time (they had two separate builds). However, the metaserver code that I've updated has that capability, so its pretty trivial to put that into pmnet if it doesn't have it already.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

vinylrake wrote:Note: "...and there WAS no website or forums ".

Until a couple of months ago (or more recently?) all there was at mariusnet was a placeholder page saying the server was running and that you could use a guest login since accounts weren't active, and there were no download links or instructions or forums.

TODAY mariusnet is a reasonable facsimile of what it once was.
Damn! I knew I must've misread somethin'. Sorry bout that vinyl.

But really! Mnet? Let's play there...or hope something happens with pmnet soon.

-DA
Anthson

Post by Anthson »

I wasn't aware there was an alternative to playmyth until recently. Seeing as I just now started getting back into Myth and I'm about done with both single player campaigns, I just applied for an account. I'll be gaming there as soon as I get my key.