Headshot sequence

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
remedial

Headshot sequence

Post by remedial »

I was just wondering...

If a headshot sequence had more than one frame, each with a different soldier's picture- would they be randomly allocated to the units in Myth?

I think it would be pretty rad if each time you clicked on a unit, they not only had a random name, but a different mugshot to go with it. - Especially for some of these WWII projects that are resurfacing.

I'd test this out if I still had OS 9 installed on here. But I seem to remember that if you select a sequence with more than one frame for the ammunition icon- Myth displays a random frame from that sequence. Just wondering if it would do the same for a headshot.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I may be misinterpreting what you mean, but I really don't want a single unit's headshot and name to change every time I click on it.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

He meant that each time you click on a different unit, it has a different name. At first it may have sounded like what you think, but when you put into account that units have random names... well use that same definition of random with the other thing.

So he means that each unit of that same type has a different headshot than another unit of that same type.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Sequences in an animation don't get randomized under other circumstances, so I don't think they would in this case either.

It's possible that your result would be an animating headshot, one that cycles through different frames while a single unit remains selected. It's more likely that it would always use only the first frame, though.
remedial

Post by remedial »

Okay, I tested this out and it doesn't work :(

I just selected an animation with more than one frame for the headshot and it displayed the first frame every time.

However, if you select say a "harddeath arm" for the ammunition sequence- it does seem to display a different frame for every unit. -This is what led me to believe that the headshots might do the same.

Oh well. :roll:
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:So he means that each unit of that same type has a different headshot than another unit of that same type.
That's actually what I thought, but the emphasis on clicking a unit and seeing a random result made me wonder whether the desired effect was to have a different randomly assigned headshot (for each unit of a type) or whether the desired effect was to have the headshot pic be randomized every time a unit was clicked.

thanks for the clarification.
lank

Post by lank »

could it be related to whether or not the sequence animates? (there is an flag for that in amber, right?)
*toot*
remedial

Post by remedial »

Does anyone know why Myth presents a sequence's random frame when you apply it to the "ammunition icon", but not for the headshot sequence or other sequences?

ex.) Replacing a dwarf's satchel sequence with, say "harddeath head", will present a different frame of the head for each dwarf selected in the game.

I figure its determined by something that's is deeper than Fear or Amber can reach- but i think it would be a pretty rad effect if possible.
remedial

Post by remedial »

lank wrote:could it be related to whether or not the sequence animates? (there is an flag for that in amber, right?)
I tried looking for something like this too, but no luck.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I think it has something to do with unit selection. You only ever see the ammo icon when you have a lone unit selected, thereby being able to customize (as is the usual case) or randomize what that icon is presented as. However with selecting multiple units, they are then grouped. If headshots were random, how would myth know which random frame to pick when you select 2 of those units? 3 of those units? 18 of those units? etc etc.

This likely has _something_ to do with it. Not saying it couldnt happen with a little code rearrangement ;)