Starcraft 2 >>>>>>>>>>> Myth

Talk about anything here.
Isolder

Re: Starcraft 2 >>>>>>>>>>> Myth

Post by Isolder »

I didn't really enjoy SC; I got SC2 for the custom maps/mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joNPrnY4K_4 - more exciting at about 2 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgvZDLbz3NM - i forgot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB12Gy9zuFs - top down fighters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ5kk5cDN-I - side scroller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dMVFuIb8zk - tetris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy6eMCBOhQs - ac130 fly around

Many good things will come of this.

Something I don't like is how the multiplayer game joining works out for custom maps. Rather than hosted game names, what you see is a list of map names sorted by popularity. You join a map and it will throw you into some random custom game. If no game is currently hosted on the map SC2 will download it and then make you the host using P2P. This makes it difficult for new maps to get noticed I think since the most popular maps will always be way at the top. In WC3 you host a custom map and it will be in a short list for an amount of time and it's easier to get joins. Not so much with this way.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

i watched all those starcraft 2 videos and am thoroughly unimpressed. looks to me like the only thing they updated were the graphics and modability. and even the modability is still barely up to par with myth (after how many years, now?)

the one thing that I enjoyed about starcraft was the single player missions where you have a set number of units and explore the map instead of build bases. i think the only way I would ever play starcraft 2 is if they came out with an epic no-building co-op map-pack.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

They added new units and new upgrades, etc.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

oogaBooga wrote:i watched all those starcraft 2 videos and am thoroughly unimpressed. looks to me like the only thing they updated were the graphics and modability. and even the modability is still barely up to par with myth (after how many years, now?)

the one thing that I enjoyed about starcraft was the single player missions where you have a set number of units and explore the map instead of build bases. i think the only way I would ever play starcraft 2 is if they came out with an epic no-building co-op map-pack.
Someone make a Myth TC for it. I would love to see that... And ask someone else if it's any good.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

oogaBooga wrote:i watched all those starcraft 2 videos and am thoroughly unimpressed. looks to me like the only thing they updated were the graphics and modability. and even the modability is still barely up to par with myth (after how many years, now?)

Modding is barely up to par with myth, you're kidding right?
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

I made a starcraft II map in 30 minutes, it looked better than my most beautiful myth map :(

The mapmaking tool is very strong, I will try to make a "myth style" mod eventually with starcraft units. They even have cocktail molotovs in the game :P
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

does the starcraft map editor use standard 'tiles' that you drop in specific blocks/hexes? so it's basically pasting in pre-drawn blocks?

i ask because that's the only way i can imagine completing a map in 30 minutes.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

I made a starcraft II map in 30 minutes, it looked better than my most beautiful myth map :(
Well i'm not surprised, it's using a more advanced version of the SC1 tileset system where everything is pre-made to be pretty, but in a cookie-cutter sort of way. I dont think anyone's going to argue that the visual quality of a game made over 10 years later is better :)
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

it's indeed tile based, but you can also modify the height exactly like you do in loathing with the round/square brush.

There are also 10 water layers each with their own height,color,reflection settings etc.

The map action scripts are much more powerful as it uses more of a real coding language. You can make your own functions which can be used for almost anything such as new interface buttons, text, spells...

I've seen tutorials where people import their own models in, so I'm confident that maybe one day we'll see dwarfs throwing molotovs! :P
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Zeph wrote:it's indeed tile based, but you can also modify the height exactly like you do in loathing with the round/square brush.

There are also 10 water layers each with their own height,color,reflection settings etc.

The map action scripts are much more powerful as it uses more of a real coding language. You can make your own functions which can be used for almost anything such as new interface buttons, text, spells...

I've seen tutorials where people import their own models in, so I'm confident that maybe one day we'll see dwarfs throwing molotovs! :P
Someone make a Alias importer.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

someone make a myth tc for it
someone make an imported for it

damn JG, you need to learn to do those by yourself :P
kingthrall

Post by kingthrall »

http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6374

ive been making a m2 > sc2 conversion take a look.

Ive finished gimble and now making Clash. Note: that ive added a heap of textures and made it a 1v1 insted of 4v4
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Zeph wrote:someone make a myth tc for it
someone make an imported for it

damn JG, you need to learn to do those by yourself :P
I should have added a ":P" to show that I was joking.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

I've been playing SC2 the last couple days. It's fun, as was the original. I don't see much point in comparing it with Myth, since they aren't even in the same genre. Just play both, they aren't mutually exclusive you know :P
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Join us fellow mythers... play starcraft2... it have cookies.

(okay not really about the cookies)